This page covers a healer-focused strategy for Kel'Thuzad in Naxxramas in Wrath of the Lich King. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the encounter, combat log information, and Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
Stage One - Minions of the Lich
This stage begins the encounter and ends after 3-minutes 48-seconds, during which players will fight against Kel'Thuzad's minions.
- All players should be in the center of the room to avoid pulling additional enemies from the alcoves around the outer edges.
- Soldier of the Frozen Wastes
- Moves slowly towards random players, dealing moderate damage to all players with Dark Blast if they reach a player.
- Soul Weaver
- Moves slowly towards players, dealing moderate to and knocking back all players in front of them with Wail of Souls if they reach a player.
- Unstoppable Abomination
- The tanks will be dealing with stacks of Mortal Wound, reducing healing received.
Stage Two - The Lich
This stage begins following 3-minutes 48-seconds in stage one and ends when Kel'Thuzad reaches 45% health.
- Interrupt Frostbolt (Frostbolt on 10-Player) to prevent the heavy damage dealt to the tank.
- Stay more than 10-yards away from other players to avoid chaining several effects:
- On 25-Player, targets three random players with Chains of Kel'Thuzad, mind controlling them and greatly increasing their damage dealt.
- Affected players should be crowd controlled immediately. Be prepared to purge healing effects and buffs from Kel'Thuzad.
- Avoid the locations of Shadow Fissures, which deal fatal damage to any players inside them Void Blast.
- Deals moderate damage to all players with Frostbolt.
Stage Three - Guardians of the Lich
This stage begins when Kel'Thuzad reaches 40% health and ends once he's killed.
- Kel'Thuzad uses the same abilities as in stage two.
- Four (two on 10-Player) Guardians of Icecrown spawn from the portals in the alcoves at the edge of the room.
- Guardian of Icecrown
- Gradually gain stacks of Blood Tap, increasing damage dealt.
- Once Kel'Thuzad is killed, these run away.
- Guardian of Icecrown
Quick Notes, All Difficulties
The notes below mostly pertain to progression difficulty, meaning if you out-gear the difficulty you're on or use extra healers they may not apply.
- Use Cooldowns as-needed
- on Frostbolt
- Pre-heal Before (mainly for heal over time classes)
- Frostbolt happens frequently, so keeping heal over time effects active can be beneficial.
- Other things to watch for
Debuffs to Track
- Mortal Wound causes tanks to receive less healing.
- Frost Blast causes affected players to need additional heavy healing over time.
Naxxramas DBM Import Code for Healers - +
To use this import code, install the Deadly Boss Mods addon, type /dbm in your chat, expand the Wrath of the Lich King header in the left-hand panel, click on the Naxxramas heading, click on the Load AddOn button in the right-hand panel if necessary, click on the Import Profile button, paste the code into the box and click Import. Note that importing this code will replace all of your current settings for all Naxxramas bosses.