This page covers a healer-focused strategy for Rage Winterchill in The Battle for Mount Hyjal in The Burning Crusade. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the encounter, combat log information, and Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
- Stay more than 20-yards away to avoid Frost Nova (dispel, magic).
- Avoid the location of Death & Decay.
- Deals moderate damage and then heavy damage over time to random players while stunning them with Icebolt.
- Gains greatly increased armor while Frost Armor is active, and applies Chilled (dispel. magic) to melee attackers.
- After 10-minutes, Enrages, greatly increasing damage dealt.
- All players should use as must Frost Resistance as possible without sacrificing other stats.
The notes below mostly pertain to progression difficulty, meaning if you out-gear the encounter or use extra healers they may not apply.
- Use Cooldowns
- Other things to watch for
- Keep players near full health to ensure they survive Icebolt.
Debuffs to Track
- Icebolt causes players to be incapacitated and need heavy healing over time.
- Several things can be dispelled as-needed if a player is stuck in Death & Decay.
Below are the DBM settings I'll be using for Rage Winterchill in The Battle for Mount Hyjal. You can set them up however you'd like, but these ones should work well as a starting point.