This page covers a healer-focused strategy for Lady Vashj in Serpentshrine Cavern in The Burning Crusade. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the encounter, combat log information, and Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
Stage One - Lady Vashj
This stage begins the encounter and ends when Lady Vashj reaches 70% health.
- The tanks will be dealing with several things during this stage.
- When affected by Static Charge, move more than 5-yards away from other player to prevent chaining the damage dealt.
- Deals moderate damage to swaths of players with Multi-Shot.
State Two - Tainted Cores
This stage begins when Lady Vashj reaches 70% health and ends after all four Shield Generators are deactivated using Tainted Cores.
- Tainted Cores must be obtained and used as efficiently as possible.
- Tainted Cores are looted from Tainted Elementals, detailed below.
- Having a Tainted Core in your inventory roots you in place with Paralyze.
- Targeting another player and using the Tainted Core throws it to that player.
- A player with a Tainted Core within 5-yards of a Shield Generator can click the Generator to deactivate it.
- Lady Vashj
- Several lesser enemies spawn during this stage.
- Tainted Elemental
- Enchanted Elemental
- Spawn continuously anywhere near the bottom of the stairs.
- Must be killed before reaching Lady Vashj and applying a stack of Surge, increasing damage dealt.
- Coilfang Strider
- Coilfang Elite
Stage Three - Sporebat Frenzy
This stage begins once all Shield Generators are deactivated and ends when Lady Vashj is killed.
- Lesser enemies from stage two no longer spawn.
- Lady Vashj
- Uses the same abilities as stage one.
- Targets random players with Persuasion, mind controlling them, greatly increasing their damage and healing done, and making them immune to crowd control.
- Affected players can be taunted and should be damaged to ~20% health to break the effect.
- Toxic Sporebats spawn at an increasing rate.
- Stay more than 5-yards away from Toxic Spores.
The notes below mostly pertain to progression difficulty, meaning if you out-gear the encounter or use extra healers they may not apply.
- Use Cooldowns
- Other things to watch for
- During stage two, players may be out of range or out of line of sight. Healers should be assigned to certain areas or groups of players to ensure everyone is being healed.
- This is a long fight so try to conserve mana whenever possible.
Debuffs to Track
- Shock Blast stuns the tanks and can cause them to need additional healing.
- Static Charge causes player to need additional healing.
- Dispel Poison Bolt (poison) when possible to prevent the light damage over time.
- Entangle causes players to need additional healing.
Below are the DBM settings I'll be using for Lady Vashj in Serpentshrine Cavern. You can set them up however you'd like, but these ones should work well as a starting point.