This page covers a healer-focused strategy for Fathom-Lord Karathress in Serpentshrine Cavern in The Burning Crusade. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the encounter, combat log information, and Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
During this encounter, players will be fighting against Karathress and his Fathom-Guards.
- Fathom-Lord Karathress
- Stay more than 8-yards away to avoid Sear Nova.
- Deals heavy damage to random mana users with Cataclysmic Bolt.
- If any Fathom-Guards are still alive upon reaching 75% health, gains Blessing of the Tides, greatly increasing damage dealt and attack speed.
- When a Fathom-Guard is killed, gains an additional ability. These abilities are detailed under their respective Fathom-Guard below.
- After 10-minutes, goes Berserk, greatly increasing attack speed and damage dealt.
- Fathom-Guard Caribdis
- Fathom-Guard Sharkkis
- During The Beast Within, Sharkkis and any summoned pets deal increased damage.
- Deals light damage over time and drains mana from random players with Leeching Throw.
- Deals light damage to swaths of player with Multi-Toss.
- Deals light damage to random players with Hurl Trident.
- Summons a Fathom Lurker or a Fathom Sporebat.
- Fathom-Guard Tidalvess
The notes below mostly pertain to progression difficulty, meaning if you out-gear the encounter or use extra healers they may not apply.
- Use Cooldowns
- Other things to watch for
- Keep players near full health to ensure they survive Cataclysmic Bolt.
Debuffs to Track
- Tidal Surge incapacitates players, possibly causing the tanks to need additional healing.
- Leeching Throw causes players to need additional healing.
Below are the DBM settings I'll be using for Fathom-Lord Karathress in Serpentshrine Cavern. You can set them up however you'd like, but these ones should work well as a starting point.