Prince Malchezaar, Healer Guide
Updated 2 years ago for patch 2.5.1 by Preston. View the change log.
This page covers a healer-focused strategy for Prince Malchezaar in Karazhan in The Burning Crusade. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the encounter, combat log information, and Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
- Stay at least 30-yards away to avoid Shadow Nova.
- Stationary, untargetable Netherspite Infernals drop from the sky at random locations.
- Stay at least 15-yards away to avoid Hellfire.
Stage One - Enfeebled
This stage begins the encounter and ends when Malchezaar reaches 60% health.
- Targets up to five random players with Enfeeble, reducing their maximum health to one.
- Dispel Shadow Word: Pain (magic) to prevent the light damage over time.
Stage Two - Sundered
This stage begin when Malchezaar reaches 60% health and ends when he reaches 30% health.
- No longer uses Shadow Word: Pain (dispel, magic).
- Continues to use Enfeeble.
- The tanks will be dealing with Sunder Armor, reducing armor.
- The tanks will also be dealing with extra damage from Thrash.
Stage Three - Amplified
This stage begins when Malchezaar reaches 30% health and ends when he's killed.
- No longer uses Enfeeble, Sunder Armor, or Thrash.
- Uses Shadow Word: Pain (dispel, magic) again.
- Targets random players with Amplify Damage, increasing damage taken.
- Summons two Prince Malchezaar's Axes to attack random players.
The notes below mostly pertain to progression difficulty, meaning if you out-gear the encounter or use extra healers they may not apply.
- Use Cooldowns
- as-needed to keep the tanks alive, especially during stage two
- as-needed during stage three
- Other things to watch for
- Due to Netherspite Infernals, you may need to coordinate movement with the group to keep everyone in range to be healed.
Debuffs to Track
- Sunder Armor causes the tanks to need additional healing.
- Amplify Damage can cause players to need additional healing.
- Shadow Word: Pain (dispel, magic) should be dispelled when possible.
Below are the DBM settings I'll be using for Prince Malchezaar in Karazhan. You can set them up however you'd like, but these ones should work well as a starting point.
Changelog - View the last ten changes. - +
June 12, 2021 - 12:59 am (Terestian Illhoof) - Fixed DBM settings to be for Illhoof.
June 04, 2021 - 4:18 pm (Attumen the Huntsman) - Updated Charge spell ID.
June 04, 2021 - 4:06 pm (Shade of Aran) - Updated Arcane Missiles and Counterspell spell IDs, added Dragon's Breath.
May 19, 2021 - 5:29 pm (Attumen the Huntsman) - Added DBM settings.
Comment on Prince Malchezaar, Healer Guide