This page covers a healer-focused strategy for the Opera Event in Karazhan in The Burning Crusade. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the encounter, combat log information, and Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
The Opera Event will consist of one of the following encounters.
The Big Bad Wolf
- Don't stand in front to avoid Wide Swipe.
- Stay at least 10-yards away to avoid Terrifying Howl (dispel, magic).
- This should be dispelled from the tanks quickly.
- When targeted by Red Riding Hood, run away from The Big Bad Wolf.
Wizard of Oz
Each boss joins the encounter over time, and should generally be killed in the order in which they appear (as listed below).
- Does not have a threat table and cannot be tanked.
- Stay at least 8-yards away to avoid Frightened Scream.
- Deals moderate damage to random players with Water Bolt.
- Enrages if Tito is killed before her, greatly increasing casting speed.
- Silences random players with Annoying Yipping.
- Susceptible to fear effects, which can be used as temporary crowd control if needed.
- The tanks will be dealing with Shred Armor, reducing armor.
- The tanks will also be dealing with Mangle.
- Can become temporarily disoriented when taking fire damage by Burning Straw.
- The tanks will be dealing with the stun effect from Brain Bash.
- Silences random players with Brain Wipe.
- The Crone
- Spawns once all other bosses are killed.
- Stay at least 10-yards away from other players to avoid chaining the damage from Chain Lightning.
- Avoid the Cyclones as they move around the room.
Romulo and Julianne
Stage One - Julianne
This stage begins the encounter and ends when Julianne is killed.
- Several abilities can be interrupted, and should be interrupted in order of importance as they're listed below.
- Interrupt Eternal Affection to prevent the healing.
- Interrupt Powerful Attraction to prevent the stun effect.
- Interrupt Blinding Passion to prevent the light damage and light damage over time dealt to random players.
- Purge Devotion to remove the increased holy damage and casting speed effect.
Stage Two - Romulo
This stage begins after Julianne is killed and ends when Romulo is killed.
- Don't stand in front to avoid Deadly Swathe.
- Dispel Poisoned Thrust (poison) to remove the decreased stat effect.
- Purge Daring to remove the increased physical damage dealt and attack speed effect.
- Targets random players behind him with Backward Lunge, dealing light damage and knocking back.
Stage Three - Julianne and Romulo
This stage begins after Romulo is killed, and ends when both Julianne and Romulo are killed for the final time.
- Both bosses are resurrected by Undying Love.
- Both bosses must be killed within 10-seconds of each other to avoid being resurrected again.
- Each boss continues using the same abilities as in stage one and stage two.
The notes below mostly pertain to progression difficulty, meaning if you out-gear the encounter or use extra healers they may not apply.
- Use Cooldowns
- The Big Bad Wolf: as-needed on the player affected by Red Riding Hood
- Other things to watch for
Debuffs to Track
- The Big Bad Wolf
- Terrifying Howl (dispel, magic) should be dispelled from the tanks immediately.
- Red Riding Hood may cause players to need additional healing or external defensive cooldowns if they're caught.
- The Wizard of Oz
- Several abilities cause the tanks to need additional healing.
- Romulo and Julianne
- Powerful Attraction incapacitates the the affected player.
- Poisoned Thrust (dispel, poison) should be dispelled immediately.
- Blinding Passion causes players to need additional healing over time.
Buffs to Purge
Below are the DBM settings I'll be using for the Opera Event in Karazhan. You can set them up however you'd like, but these ones should work well as a starting point.
Changelog - View the last ten changes. - +
June 12, 2021 - 12:59 am (Terestian Illhoof) - Fixed DBM settings to be for Illhoof.
June 04, 2021 - 4:18 pm (Attumen the Huntsman) - Updated Charge spell ID.
June 04, 2021 - 4:06 pm (Shade of Aran) - Updated Arcane Missiles and Counterspell spell IDs, added Dragon's Breath.
May 19, 2021 - 5:29 pm (Attumen the Huntsman) - Added DBM settings.
Comment on Opera Event, Healer Guide