This page covers a healer-focused strategy for Nightbane in Karazhan in The Burning Crusade. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the encounter, combat log information, and Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
Players will be alternating between two stages during the encounter.
Stage One - Ground
This stage begins the encounter and ends when Nightbane reaches 75%, 50%, and 25% health. It begins again following ~30-seconds in stage two.
- Don't stand in front to avoid Smoldering Breath and Cleave.
- Don't stand behind to avoid Tail Sweep.
- When possible, stay at least 35-yards away to avoid Bellowing Roar.
- Avoid the locations of Charred Earth.
- Dispel Distracting Ash (magic) to remove the reduced chance to hit effect.
Stage Two - Air
- The tanks (or the player with the highest threat) will be dealing with Smoking Blast, dealing moderate damage and then light damage over time with Searing Cinders (dispel, magic).
- Avoid the impact locations of Rain of Bones, this spawns five Restless Skeletons.
- Stay within 40-yards of Nightbane to avoid triggering Fireball Barrage.
The notes below mostly pertain to progression difficulty, meaning if you out-gear the encounter or use extra healers they may not apply.
- Use Cooldowns
- as-needed during stage two
- Other things to watch for
- Being on top of dispels will lessen the amount of healing that needs to be done.
- A healer is likely to be targeted by Smoking Blast due to tanks being occupied by Restless Skeletons.
Debuffs to Track
- Distracting Ash (dispel, magic) should be dispelled immediately.
- Searing Cinders (dispel, magic) should be dispelled when possible.
- Smoldering Breath causes players to need additional healing over time.
Below are the DBM settings I'll be using for Nightbane in Karazhan. You can set them up however you'd like, but these ones should work well as a starting point.
Comment on Nightbane, Healer Guide
Changelog - View the last ten changes. - +
June 12, 2021 - 12:59 am (Terestian Illhoof) - Fixed DBM settings to be for Illhoof.
June 04, 2021 - 4:18 pm (Attumen the Huntsman) - Updated Charge spell ID.
June 04, 2021 - 4:06 pm (Shade of Aran) - Updated Arcane Missiles and Counterspell spell IDs, added Dragon's Breath.
May 19, 2021 - 5:29 pm (Attumen the Huntsman) - Added DBM settings.