Healing doesn't have a rotation of spells to go through like a DPS spec does, however, there are often certain types of situations that arise where you can respond in a certain fashion. I've detailed some of the most common situations below, as well as how to heal them. In the heat of battle, you may not always be able to stick to these things exactly, but with a little practice they should become second nature.
Things to always do
- Maintain Lifebloom on a player at all times, usually the current tank, or yourself if using Photosynthesis.
- Maintain Efflorescence under the largest group of players, or under the tank(s) if players are spread out.
What to do when there's no major healing to be done
- Continue to keep Lifebloom and Efflorescence active.
- Consider helping DPS.
- The cheapest way to do this is with Solar Wrath.
- You can also use Moonfire and Sunfire if mana permits.
- If you know you have a long period to DPS, and have taken Balance Affinity or Feral Affinity, you can shift into these forms, too.
- Catweaving (Feral Affinity)
- Against 1-2 enemies:
- Maintain Moonfire and Sunfire on all enemies.
- When possible, start by using Rake from Prowl.
- Maintain Rake on all enemies.
- Swipe to gain combo points against two enemies.
- Shred to gain combo points against one enemy.
- Maintain Rip on all enemies.
- Use Ferocious Bite if the enemy is unlikely to live for 15+ seconds.
- Against 3+ enemies:
- Against 1-2 enemies:
- Catweaving (Feral Affinity)
- Be mindful of incoming/predictable damage so you can start putting Rejuvenations on players ahead of time.
Healing heavy tank or single-target damage
- If you know the damage is coming, place Ironbark or Cenarion Ward (if talented) on the target ahead of time.
- If the target is already <50% health and nearing death, use Nature's Swiftness with Regrowth and follow-up with Swiftmend to heal them up. Continue using Regrowth or Nourish (if talented) if the damage is going to continue.
- Once the target is stable >50% health, place Rejuvenation on them and then follow up with another large heal (Regrowth, Swiftmend, etc) if they risk dying again without it.
- The main thing is to recognize when the damage is no longer critical so you don't waste mana or cooldowns.
Healing group-wide damage
- If you know the damage is coming, start placing Rejuvenations on as many players as possible ~10 seconds before the damage will start.
- For low to moderate damage where you were able to place Rejuvenations beforehand:
- For heavy damage where you placed Rejuvenations beforehand:
- Use Wild Growth as the damage starts.
- Depending on your talent choices:
- Continue to place Rejuvenations on players and using Wild Growth as needed.
- Use single-target spot healing like Swiftmend and Regrowth on players that will die otherwise.
- For moderate to heavy damage with little to no Rejuvenations placed beforehand:
- Use Wild Growth after the damage starts.
- Move Lifebloom to yourself if you're using Photosynthesis.
- Begin placing Rejuvenations on players not affected by your Wild Growth.
- Just before Wild Growth's heal over time effect expires, use Flourish (if talented).
- Use Incarnation: Tree of Life if you've taken that talent
- Continue placing Rejuvenations on players and using Wild Growth as needed.
- Finally, for critical, unexpected damage, Tranquility should be used. Using it should be your last-ditch plan to keep the group alive. If you're assigned to use Tranquility at a specific time by the group leader, try to hold it for that time at all costs. If you've taken Flourish, try to always have it available to extend the heal over time effect from Tranquility after it's done channeling.
Comment on Restoration Druid Guide
Changelog - View the last ten changes. - +
August 24, 2022 - 11:52 am (Addons) - Updated Grid2 import code and Filtered Debuff lists with various additions and corrections based on my recent guide updates.
August 16, 2022 - 8:30 pm (Stat Weights and Gearing) - Updated Mythic+ Maximum Damage list - moved Unity legendary to Feet, added Wraps of Electrostatic Potential Wrist.
August 16, 2022 - 7:29 pm (Addons) - Updated Grid2 import code with several debuff updates, both ID fixes and changing debuffs from Minor to Major and vice versa.
August 09, 2022 - 4:03 am (Addons) - Updated Grid2 import code to correctly track Shadow Claws from the Season 4 affix, plus other spell ID corrections.
August 04, 2022 - 2:27 am (Addons) - Updated Grid2 import code with Season 4 dungeon and raid affixes. Updated some spell IDs for Iron Docks.
August 03, 2022 - 5:19 pm (Addons) - Updated Grid2 import code with debuffs for Shadowlands Season 4 content. Transitioned to Grid2 Themes for better functionality across other specs.
August 02, 2022 - 11:02 pm (Legendary Gear) - Reviewed for Shadowlands Season 4, with some minor updates and changes; primarily Mid/Low Tiers on Best in Slot lists.
August 02, 2022 - 10:21 pm (Enchants, Gems, Consumables) - Organizational updates for Shadowlands Season 4. Primarily split Mythic+ into maximum healing and maximum damage.
August 02, 2022 - 10:08 pm (Stat Weights and Gearing) - Updated all best in slot lists and information for Shadowlands Season 4.
June 22, 2022 - 6:37 am (Covenants, Soulbinds, and Conduits) - Added Fury of the Skies as a potency conduit option to deal more damage.