This page covers a healer-focused strategy for Ursoc in The Emerald Nightmare. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the fight as well as Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
Normal and Heroic
This is a single stage fight that will get steadily harder the longer it goes on, with a soft-enrage happening at 30%.
- If you're targeted with Focused Gaze, run as far away from the boss as possible.
- In most cases, your group will simply split into two sets of players that will alternate standing in the charge.
- Being far away reduces the damage from Trampling Slam. Be ready to use a personal defensive cooldown to help further mitigate the damage if needed.
- Be prepared to stand between the targeted player and the boss if you do not already have the Momentum debuff. This helps mitigate the damage caused to the group by Barreling Impact.
- Make sure you're within 25-yards of Ursoc when he begins to cast Roaring Cacophony. Be ready to use a personal cooldown to mitigate the damage from this ability because it gets stronger each time Ursoc uses it.
- The adds have a 20-yard circle of Miasma around them. Avoid standing in this. If you're standing in it when Ursoc roars, you will be feared, in addition to taking extra damage.
- On Heroic difficulty, Nightmarish Cacophony causes a Nightmare Image to spawn each time Ursoc roars.
The information below covers the new abilities and strategies introduced in Mythic difficulty. In addition to new things, you can expect all previous abilities to hit significantly harder.
- Nightmare Images from Nightmarish Cacophony will occasionally come to life and attack players. They should be killed in an area where Miasma won't negatively affect the rest of the fight.
This fight has very predictible spikes of damage that should only require cooldowns later in the fight.
- Be prepared to heal moderate damage caused to the group by Barreling Impact. I don't recommend using your powerful group-healing cooldowns here because the damage is predictable and not followed by anything that will kill players.
- You will start to need group-healing cooldowns and group-mitigation cooldowns for Roaring Cacophony starting at around the 6th time it is used (this was tested on Heroic, Normal may vary). You may be able to hold out longer or you may need to start using cooldowns sooner depending on your group.
- The tank affected by Rend Flesh will need additional healing.
- At 30% health, Ursoc enteres a Blood Frenzy, causing all of his abilities to deal 25% additional damage. It also increases his haste, meaning there will be further damage on the tanks, too.
Debuffs to Track
Below are debuffs you should track on your raid frames.
- Rend Flesh because the tank affected by it will need additional healing.
- (Optional) Trampling Slam targets will take a spike of damage when hit. They may need to be topped off quickly.
- (Optional) Overwhelm causes the affected tank to take additional physical damage, and may cause them to need extra healing.
- (Optional) Miasma can be useful to see, but players shouldn't be standing in it for long, if at all.
Below are the DBM settings I'll be using for Ursoc. You can set them up however you'd like, but these ones should work well as a starting point. Some settings may be Mythic only.
Heroic, Restoration Druid PoV
Below is a video of me and my guild defeating Ursoc on Heroic difficulty. There is no commentary, only game sounds.
Mythic, Restoration Druid PoV
Below is a video of me and my guild defeating Ursoc on Mythic difficulty. Again, there is no commentary, only game sounds.
Changelog - View the last ten changes. - +
March 24, 2017 - 12:00 am (The Emerald Nightmare) - Guides reviewed for patch 7.2, no major updates made.
December 31, 2016 - 6:00 pm (The Emerald Nightmare) - Reviewed for patch 7.1.5.
December 25, 2016 - 12:00 am (The Emerald Nightmare) - Updated Healer guide for Xavius, adding Mythic kill video and additional Mythic information.
December 18, 2016 - 12:00 am (The Emerald Nightmare) - Updated Mythic Healer guide for Cenarius and added Mythic kill video.
November 24, 2016 - 12:00 am (The Emerald Nightmare) - Added Mythic video to Il'gynoth Healer guide.
November 14, 2016 - 12:00 am (The Emerald Nightmare) - Added Mythic videos to Ursoc and Dragons of Nightmare healer guides.
November 12, 2016 - 12:00 am (The Emerald Nightmare) - The Mythic information on the healer guide for Dragons of Nightmare was updated.
October 23, 2016 - 12:00 am (The Emerald Nightmare) - Added additional clarifications to the Mythic section of the Elerethe Healer guide, along with a Mythic video.
October 22, 2016 - 12:00 am (The Emerald Nightmare) - Added Heroic video to the Xavius Healer guide.
October 20, 2016 - 12:00 am (The Emerald Nightmare) - Added videos to the Healer guides for Nythendra (mythic), Il'gynoth, and Cenarius.
Comment on Ursoc, Healer Guide