This page covers a healer-focused strategy for Kel'Thuzad in Naxxramas. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the encounter, logs information, and Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
Stage One - Minions of the Lich
This stage begins the encounter and ends after ~5-minutes, during which players will fight against Kel'Thuzad's minions.
- All players should be in the center of the room to avoid pulling additional enemies from the alcoves around the outer edges.
- Soldier of the Frozen Wastes
- If they reach any player, deals heavy damage to all players with Dark Blast.
- Soul Weaver
- Deals moderate damage to all players and knocks them back with Wail of Souls.
- Unstoppable Abomination
- The tanks will be dealing with Mortal Wound, reducing healing received.
Stage Two - The Lich
This stage begins following ~5-minutes in stage one and ends when Kel'Thuzad reaches 40% health.
- Stay more than 10-yards away from as many players as possible to mitigate chaining damage and effects from some abilities during this stage.
- Interrupt Frostbolt to prevent the heavy damage dealt to the tank.
- When affected by Detonate Mana, stay more than 10-yards away from other players to avoid dealing damage to them.
- This burns 50% of the affected player's mana over 5-seconds.
- Chains of Kel'Thuzad mind-controls the current tank and four other players, increasing their damage dealt and healing done.
- Affected players should be crowd controlled immediately. Be prepared to purge healing effects and buffs from Kel'Thuzad.
- Targets random players with Frost Blast, stunning all players within 10-yards and dealing critical damage over time.
- Avoid the locations of Void Blast shadow patches.
- Deals moderate damage to all players with Frostbolt.
Stage Three - Guardians of the Lich
This stage begins when Kel'Thuzad reaches 40% health and ends once he's killed.
- Kel'Thuzad uses the same abilities as in stage two.
- Up to five Guardians of Icecrown spawn from the portals in the alcoves at the edge of the room.
Season of Mastery Differences
- Currently, I'm not aware of any mechanical differences.
- There are new quests offered by Archmage Tarsis Kir-Moldir just inside Naxxramas, and it was suggested that these could lead to surprises that "have a significant impact" inside and outside Naxxramas.
- All players should use as much Frost Resistance as possible without sacrificing other stats.
The notes below mostly pertain to progression difficulty, meaning if you out-gear the difficulty you're on or use extra healers they may not apply.
- Use cooldowns on Frostbolt.
- Players affected by Frost Blast need immediate healing to keep them alive.
- Mana can be a problem due to Detonate Mana, making mana management and avoiding overhealing especially important.
Debuffs to Track
- Major: Mortal Wound, Frost Blast
- Minor: Detonate Mana
- Buffs to Purge: Any player-applied effects from Chains of Kel'Thuzad mind-controlled players
Comment on Kel'Thuzad, Healer Guide
Changelog - View the last ten changes. - +