This page covers a healer-focused strategy for Ragnaros in Molten Core. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the encounter, logs information, and Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
During the encounter you'll be alternating between two stages.
- Stay ~10-yards away from all lava pools in the room to avoid the periodic splashing damage originating from them.
Stage One - Ragnaros
This stage begins the encounter and ends after three minutes, it will begin again when all Sons of Flame are killed.
- The tanks will be dealing with Elemental Fire, taking moderate damage over time while effected.
- Stay at least 25-yards away to avoid Wrath of Ragnaros.
- Melee should attempt to move away from Ragnaros before this is cast.
- This will force a tank swap unless the main tank has enough Fire Resistance to resist the effect.
- Stay at least 10-yards away from as many players as possible to mitigate the number of players affected by Hand of Ragnaros.
- Fire Resistance gear, items, and buffs can help mitigate this effect.
- Targets random players with Magma Blast if no players are in melee range.
- Melee attackers have a chance to lose additional weapon durability when attacking Ragnaros due to Melt Weapon.
Stage Two - Sons of Flame
This stage begins after three minutes in stage one and ends when all Sons of Flame are killed.
- Son of Flame
- Stay at least 10-yards away to avoid the mana drain effect from Lava Shield
- Should be crowd-controlled, snared, and slowed as much as possible while being killed.
Season of Mastery Differences
- At 50% health, Stage Two occurs, after which Sons of Flame will spawn in either stage for the rest of the encounter.
- Tanks: ~315 Fire Resistance
- Melee: ~200 Fire Resistance (if not moving out for Wrath of Ragnaros)
- Ranged/Healers: ~100+ Fire Resistance
The notes below mostly pertain to progression difficulty, meaning if you out-gear the difficulty you're on or use extra healers they may not apply.
- Be prepared for a players or two to be hit by Magma Blast while the next tank is getting into position after Wrath of Ragnaros.
- Keep players near full health so they survive Hand of Ragnaros and Wrath of Ragnaros.
- Be prepared to move to avoid Sons of Flame in stage two, there shouldn't be much healing to be done at this point.
Debuffs to Track
- Major: Elemental Fire
Comment on Ragnaros, Healer Guide
Changelog - View the last ten changes. - +
November 10, 2021 - 12:29 am (Ragnaros) - Added Season of Mastery differences.
November 09, 2021 - 10:20 pm (Majordomo Executus) - Added Season of Mastery differences.
November 09, 2021 - 10:11 pm (Sulfuron Harbinger) - Added Season of Mastery differences.
November 09, 2021 - 10:06 pm (Golemagg the Incinerator) - Added Season of Mastery differences.
November 09, 2021 - 10:01 pm (Shazzrah) - Added Season of Mastery differences.
November 09, 2021 - 9:57 pm (Baron Geddon) - Added Season of Mastery differences.
November 09, 2021 - 9:49 pm (Garr) - Added Season of Mastery differences.
November 09, 2021 - 7:09 pm (Gehennas) - Added Season of Mastery differences.
November 09, 2021 - 7:06 pm (Magmadar) - Added Season of Mastery differences.
November 09, 2021 - 6:49 pm (Lucifron) - Added Season of Mastery differences.