This page covers a healer-focused strategy for the Demonic Inquisition in the Tomb of Sargeras. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the fight as well as Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
Normal and Heroic
During this encounter you will be fighting against Atrigan and Belac, who share a health pool.
- Various abilities from both bosses apply Torment to players.
- Upon reaching full Torment, players are affected by Unbearable Torment.
- To alleviate Unbearable Torment, use the Confess extra action button.
- This moves you to Belac's cage where you collect Remnants of Hope orbs to decrease your Torment levels.
- Inside Belac's cage there is a Tormented Soul, which needs to be tanked and DPS'd to release the Remnants of Hope.
- Avoid the impact locations of Tormented Eruption while inside.
- All players inside continuously gain stacks of Soul Corruption.
- If you gain more than 7-10 stacks, use a personal defensive cooldown or leave the cage.
- Once your Torment is depleted, of if you gain too many stacks of Soul Corruption, use the extra action button again to leave the cage.
- Atrigan's Bone Scythe causes all melee attacks to apply 2 Torment to the current aggro target.
- Don't stand in front of Atrigan to avoid Scythe Sweep. This applies 20 Torment to anyone hit.
- When targeted by Calcified Quills, move out of the group to avoid hitting other players with the cone of spikes.
- Avoid Atrigan when he Bone Saws, being inside causes heavy damage over time and applies 4 Torment per second.
- Attacking Atrigan during Bone Saw applies additional Torment.
- Pangs of Guilt must be interrupted every time it's cast or it will kill most players.
- Echoing Anguish needs to be dispelled in a controlled manner, with the player being dispelled after moving out of the group first.
- Dispelling triggers an Anguished Outburst, dealing critical damage and applying 10 Torment to players within 8-yards of the dispelled target.
- Avoid Suffocating Dark zones placed on random players, standing in these deals moderate damage over time and applies 10 Torment per second.
- Tormenting Burst deals light damage to the entire group and applies 8 Torment to all players.
- Fel Squall deals moderate damage over time to the group and applies 4 Torment per second.
- Attacking Belac during Fel Squall applies additional Torment.
- When players leave Belac's cage, a Tormented Fragment spawns.
- These fixate on random players and should be kited as much as possible, ideally through melee so they can be cleaved with the boss.
- Each time a Tormented Fragment spawns, the damage done by all Fragments is increased by Harrowing Reconstitution.
- When killed, Explosive Anguish deals heavy damage to all players within 10-yards of the Fragment.
Quick Notes, All Difficulties
- As healers are affected by Unbearable Torment, be mindful that they won't be able to help heal while in the cage.
- Players caught inside Bone Saw will require heavy healing.
- Echoing Anguish must be dispelled in a controlled manner, with the affected player standing outside the group before being dispelled.
- The group will need moderate healing over time during Fel Squall.
In-depth Notes, Normal and Heroic
Consider this section in "beta." My goal is to lay out the order of events without necessarily providing an entire strategy for all roles (other sites do that already). The idea being it should help organize your cooldowns or pre-healing. Feedback is greatly appreciated as Tomb of Sargeras is my first time attempting something like this.
Detailed Event List
The event list lays out major boss abilities based on what time they occurred after the boss entered combat (denoted by [minutes:seconds], along with notes on how to identify or handle the mechanics. Once enough events have repeated to develop patterns, the patterns are noted below the event list. Numbers are based on a 20-man Heroic group.
Based on the Event List, we can assume the following:
- Tormenting Burst occurs every 20-seconds, starting 10-seconds into the fight.
- Echoing Anguish occurs every 20-seconds, starting 10-seconds into the fight.
- Scythe Sweep occurs every 20-seconds, starting 10-seconds into the fight.
- Suffocating Dark occurs every 30-seconds, starting 10-seconds into the fight.
- Tanks and healers assigned specifically to the Cage will switch about every 60-seconds, starting 15-seconds into the fight.
- This is in a mostly ideal setting, the actual switch will depend on how quickly the Outside tank gains Torment.
- Calcified Quills occurs every 20-seconds, starting 15-seconds into the fight.
- Fel Squall occurs every 60-seconds, starting 30-seconds into the fight.
- Bone Saw occurs every 60-seconds, starting 60-seconds into the fight.
Debuffs to Track
- Echoing Anguish needs to be dispelled.
- Suffocating Dark causes affected players to need additional healing.
- (Optional) Unbearable Torment can be tracked so you know which players could be taking extra damage or which healers have reduced healing.
- (Optional) Bone Saw can be tracked so you know who needs additional healing.
Below are the DBM settings I'll be using for the Demonic Inquisition. You can set them up however you'd like, but these ones should work well as a starting point. Some settings may be Mythic only.
Heroic, Restoration Druid PoV
Below is a video of me and my guild defeating Demonic Inquisition on Heroic difficulty. There is no commentary, only game sounds.
Mythic, Restoration Druid PoV
Below is a video of me and my guild defeating Demonic Inquisition on Mythic difficulty. There is no commentary, only game sounds.
October 31, 2017 (Maiden of Vigilance) - Added Mythic kill video.
October 25, 2017 (Tomb of Sargeras) - Guide reviewed for patch 7.3.2, no changes needed.
October 05, 2017 (Mistress Sassz'ine) - Added Mythic kill video and clarified Mythic information.
August 29, 2017 (Tomb of Sargeras) - Added Mythic video to the healer guide for The Desolate Host.
August 08, 2017 (Tomb of Sargeras) - Added a mythic kill video and additional mythic information to the Sisters of the Moon healer guide.
July 25, 2017 (Tomb of Sargeras) - Updated Mythic information in the Goroth and Harjatan healer guides. Added Mythic kill video to Harjatan guide.
July 13, 2017 (Tomb of Sargeras) - Kil'jaeden healer guide updated with in-depth notes.
July 07, 2017 (Tomb of Sargeras) - Added in-depth notes to Maiden of Vigilance healer guide.
July 04, 2017 (Tomb of Sargeras) - Added kill video to Kil'jaeden healer guide.
July 03, 2017 (Tomb of Sargeras) - Updated Kil'jaeden healer guide with DBM settings and minor ability clarifications.