This page covers a healer-focused strategy for Elerethe Renferal in The Emerald Nightmare. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the fight as well as Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
Normal and Heroic
During the encounter, Elerethe switches between a spider and roc (bird) form.
- During both stages, avoid stepping on the Egg Sacs around the platform.
- Be prepared to avoid venom pools from Venomous Spiderling adds.
Stage 1 - spider form
Stage 1 happens when Elerethe is in spider form.
- When connected to someone by Web of Pain, be sure to stand within 20-yard of them and be ready to use a personal defensive cooldown to help mitigate damage.
- When Elerethe ascends into her web, be ready to avoid Vile Ambush when she comes back down. You should try to run as far away from the impact source as possible. Be ready to use a personal cooldown to survive.
- If you're affected by Necrotic Venom, move away from other players to drop your venom pools at the edges of the platform.
Stage 2 - roc (bird) form
Stage 2 happens when Elerethe is in roc form. During this stage, she will periodically fly between the different platforms.
- While Gathering Clouds is channeling, try to stay as close to the boss as possible to take less damage. Use a personal defensive cooldown to survive if you are far away from the boss or low on health.
- If you're affected by Twisting Shadows make sure to be near the edge of the platform to drop the tornado when it expires. Avoid dropping the tornado in the way of any of the web paths.
- On Normal, you can use the debuff to clear venom pools before the debuff expires. You will take moderate damage every time you run over a pool, so be ready to use a personal defensive cooldown to survive.
- On Heroic and Mythic, avoid clearing any venom pools as this will cause the resulting tornados to fling the venom back out at random group memebers. If this happens, you should move out of the green circle on the ground before the venom hits.
- Be prepared with mobility and speed increasing abilities when Dark Storm is cast. You'll need to quickly run to the eye of the storm, which is basically just the new platform that Elerethe flies to. Also be ready to use a personal defensive cooldown to survive if you'll be moving slowly.
- Each platform has two paths between it, during this phase tornados that are similar to Twisting Shadows will block one of the paths.
- The first time you step on one of the web paths, a Venomous Spiderling will spawn. You will also spawn additional Spiderlings if you touch the eggs along the path.
- Avoid standing in front of Elerethe, or you may be hit with Razor Wing.
The information below covers the new abilities and strategies introduced in Mythic difficulty. In addition to new things, you can expect all previous abilities to hit significantly harder.
Stage 1 - spider form
- On the first platform, Elerethe will cover a large portion of the ground with Tangled Webs when she lands with Vile Ambush.
- Tangled Webs will despawn almost completely by the time the next Vile Ambush is used. This allows you to cycle back and forth across the platform as normal.
- This mechanic increases the distance you must run when Vile Ambush is used. You want to avoid touching the webs whenever possible.
- On the third platform, additional Egg Sacs will be spawned by Nightmare Spawn. These Egg Sacs hatch everytime Elerethe lands with Vile Ambush or if a player runs over them.
- The beam that's between players affected by Web of Pain will cause damage and knockback anyone it touches.
Stage 2 - roc (bird) form
- On the second platform, a tank will be affected by Violent Winds. Other players will need to stand in the line of wind to help mitigate damage and slow the rate everyone is pushed back.
- You will likely need substantial group-healing cooldowns to survive this ability. Be prepared with personal defensive cooldowns as well.
This fight could require some mandatory cooldown usage, which I've covered below. You should try to save your large, group-healing cooldowns for the scenarios mentioned.
Stage 1 - spider
- The player(s) affected by Web of Pain will need significant healing and possibly an external cooldown to help mitigate the damage they take if they move more than 20-yards from each other. This is especially the case for tanks.
- You shouldn't need a large cooldown after Vile Ambush happens. This damage is predictable and isn't followed by anything that could kill players. Just make sure everyone is running far enough away, especially the tanks.
- Necrotic Venom causes moderate damage to players when it expires and begins dropping venom pools.
Stage 2 - roc (bird) stage
- Gathering Clouds shouldn't require use of group-healing cooldowns as long as everyone is able to stay close to the boss.
- Dark Storm may required smaller healing cooldowns to help keep players alive as they contend with the ramping damage from the ability and any random damage from venom pools and spiders.
- On Mythic, the players affected by Violent Winds will need heavy to critical healing to be kept alive. I recommend using large group-healing cooldowns when players are soaking the Winds.
Debuffs to Track
Below are debuffs you should track on your raid frames.
- Web of Pain so you know who may need extra healing.
- Necrotic Venom will likely cause the affected player to need moderate healing when the debuff expires and they begin dropping venom pools.
- On Mythic, Violent Winds should be tracked so the players can be healed as needed.
- (Optional) Tracking Dark Storm will show you who the slower players are that may need extra healing, but in most cases players should make it to the eye of the storm without issue.
Below are the DBM settings I'll be using for Elerethe Renferal. You can set them up however you'd like, but these ones should work well as a starting point. Some settings may be Mythic only.
Heroic, Restoration Druid PoV
Below is a video of me and my guild defeating Elerethe on Heroic difficulty. There is no commentary, only game sounds.
Mythic, Restoration Druid PoV
Below is a video of me and my guild defeating Elerethe on Mythic difficulty. Again, there is no commentary, only game sounds.
March 24, 2017 - Guides reviewed for patch 7.2, no major updates made.
- Reviewed for patch 7.1.5.
December 25, 2016 - Updated Healer guide for Xavius, adding Mythic kill video and additional Mythic information.
December 18, 2016 - Updated Mythic Healer guide for Cenarius and added Mythic kill video.
November 24, 2016 - Added Mythic video to Il'gynoth Healer guide.
November 14, 2016 - Added Mythic videos to Ursoc and Dragons of Nightmare healer guides.
November 12, 2016 - The Mythic information on the healer guide for Dragons of Nightmare was updated.
October 23, 2016 - Added additional clarifications to the Mythic section of the Elerethe Healer guide, along with a Mythic video.
October 22, 2016 - Added Heroic video to the Xavius Healer guide.
October 20, 2016 - Added videos to the Healer guides for Nythendra (mythic), Il'gynoth, and Cenarius.