This page covers healer-focused strategies for the bosses in the Return to Karazhan mythic instance. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the fights as well as Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
There is a summary of debuffs to track at the very bottom of the page. DBM settings have been included in each boss's section.
You will face one of these encounters at random every week.
During this encounter, you will be fighting Elfyra and Galindre at the same time. They both share a health pool.
- Flashy Bolt deals light damage to the tank.
- Avoid standing near Galindre so it's easier to dodge Wondrous Radiance.
- If the tank or melee are hit with this, they will need light to moderate healing.
- When Magic Magnificent is used, step into a Defy Gravity pool to be knocked in the air and avoid all or most of the damage.
- If you can't make it to a Defy Gravity pool, you can survive the damage with most personal defensive cooldowns if you're at full health.
This encounter has three Stages with each Stage ending when the bosses are killed.
Stage One - Defias Brotherhood
- Dashing Flame Gale causes light to moderate damage to the group.
- Avoid the Flame Gale patches that are left behind.
- Gang Ruffians will use Poisonous Shank on random players.
- Track Poisonous Shank on your raid frames so it can be dispelled or the player can be healed through the light damage.
Stage Two - The Fins
- Stay at least 5-yards from other players to avoid additional damage from Thunder Ritual.
- Be prepared to heal the tank or melee as they may not always stay 5-yards from each other.
- Avoid the random waves caused by Wash Away.
- Shoreline Tidespeakers will cast Bubble Blast which should be interrupted.
- If this is not interrupted, try to avoid the bubble that's created. Players hit by the bubble will need moderate healing.
Stage Three - Somewhere
Stage Three is similar to the other two stages except there are no Gang Ruffians or Shoreline Tidespeakers.
During this encounter, you will be fighting four bosses at once, with Coggleston being immune until the other three are killed. Killing one of the bosses heals the others to full health and gives them a permanent buff through Eminence. I recommend killing them in this order: Luminore > Mrs. Cauldrons > Babblet > Coggleston. This allows you to keep Burning Blaze patches to a minimum.
- Avoid fire patches created by Burning Blaze.
- Be prepared to heal moderate group-wide damage if Heat Wave isn't interrupted.
- Soup Spray will deal moderate damage to random targets and give them the Drenched debuff.
- Stand at least 10-yards away from Mrs. Cauldrons to avoid damage from Leftovers if it isn't interrupted.
- Be prepared to heal the tank or melee for a moderate amount if this goes off.
- Avoid standing near Babblet so you have time to react if you're affected by .
- Spectral Service makes Coggleston immune to damage until the other bosses are killed.
- Dent Armor will cause the tank to take significantly more damage.
- Dent Armor should be tracked on your raid frames so you know when the debuff is active.
- Dinner Bell! will increase the haste of all enemies if it's not interrupted.
- Kara Kazham! will summon Silver Fork adds.
- The Silver Forks will hit random players with Bloody Jab, causing light damage and applying a moderate damage over time effect.
- Bloody Jab should be tracked on your raid frames so you know who needs the extra healing.
- Avoid standing in the whirlwind from Flashing Forks
Maiden of Virtue
This is a single-stage fight and the only target is Maiden of Virtue.
- Stand at least 6-yards from other players to avoid extra damage from Holy Bolt. If this chains to too many players, it will kill them instantly.
- Holy Shock deals increasing damage to the tank if it is not interrupted.
- Be prepared to use an external cooldown on the tank if they take consecutive hits of Holy Shock.
- When affected by Sacred Ground, run to the very edge of the room to drop the resulting pool before the debuff expires.
- You should stand in Sacred Ground pools just before the Mass Repentance cast finishes to prevent yourself from being stunned.
- Standing in Sacred Ground applies a stacking damage over time effect, so the group will need heavy to critical healing after standing in it.
- Be prepared to heal the massive damage from Holy Wrath if it is not interrupted in time, however, this will likely wipe the group anyway.
- The DPS need to break through Holy Bulwark before it can be interrupted.
Attumen the Huntsman
This encounter will alternate between two Stages until Attumen is killed, at which point Midnight enrages and must also be killed.
Stage One - Horse and Rider as One
During this Stage, only Midnight, is targetable. This Stage ends when Midnight reaches 50% health and will begin again when she regenerates back to 100% health.
- Intangible Presence will place a light damage over time effect on all players.
- You must only dispel the player with an actual specter following them around. The specter is not something that can be tracked via raid frames.
- Stop casting when Mighty Stomp is being cast by Midnight, or you will be silenced for 4-seconds. This also causes a light amount of group-wide damage.
- Avoid the lines of horses from Spectral Charge.
Stage Two - Fighting on Foot
During this Stage, you will be fighting Attumen and Midnight at the same time while Midnight slowly regenerates health. You should focus on damaging Attumen in this Stage.
- Avoid standing in front of Midnight when she casts Mezair.
- Don't stand in front of Attumen, he will use Mortal Strike on the tank.
- With the tank's health pool significantly decreased, it will be more important to keep them at full health. Be prepared to use an external cooldown to help keep them alive.
- Briefly stack in the purple circle surrounding the tank when Shared Suffering is being cast. The damage is split between all players in the circle.
You will repeat the two Stages until Attumen is finally killed, then you must kill an enraged Midnight.
During this encounter, you will fight Moroes along with four out of six randomly chosen Dinner Guests. Before starting the encounter, you should use Ghost Trap to crowd-control three of the Guests. The traps are found on the ground inside Moroes' room and most of the adjacent rooms.
- Moroes will use Vanish throughout the fight, appearing behind random players to apply Garrote.
- Garrote could be tracked in your raid frames so you know who has the highest stacks, but in most cases you can assume all players have about the same amount.
- As the fight goes on, the damage from Garrote will beceome very high. You should try to save all of your group-healing cooldowns for the second half of the fight.
- Coat Check should be dispelled from the tank immediately.
- Coat Check should be tracked on your raid frames so you know when to dispel it, or if you can't dispel it, you know to use an external cooldown on the tank instead.
- At 60% health, Moroes will free all of the remaining dinner guests with Ghastly Purge.
- You should aim to have at least the two Dinner Guests dead before this point. To be extra safe, you can even kill all four of the Guests if the group's DPS is high enough.
Moroes' Dinner Guests
- All Dinner Guests will be affected by Dinner Party while they are near Moroes.
Baroness Dorothea Millstipe
- Arcane Blast will deal light damage to random players.
- Mana Drain will affect a random player - stunning them, draining their mana, and dealing light damage. This should be interrupted any way possible.
- Should be killed early.
Lady Catriona Von'Indi
- Smite will deal light damage to the tank.
- Healing Stream will heal Moroes and should be interrupted any way possible.
- Should be killed early.
Baron Rafe Dreuger
Lady Keira Berrybuck
- Berrybuck will give Moroes Empowered Arms, significantly increasing his damage done.
- Be aware when Berrybuck is alive and not crowd-controlled. The entire group will be taking significantly more damage, especially the tank.
- Should be stunned and killed first in all situations. You don't want Moroes to be buffed later in the fight when Garrote damage is high.
Lord Robin Daris
- Avoid the enchanted blades from Whirling Edge.
- Can be killed later.
Lord Crispin Ference
- Don't stand in front of Ference to avoid Will Breaker.
- Can be killed later.
This encounter will alternate between two Stages until The Curator is killed.
Stage One - Actively Attacking
During this Stage, The Curator is active and spending mana. This Stage ends when it reaches 10% mana.
- Summon Volatile Energy will create a Volatile Energy add.
- Arc Lightning deals steadily increasing damage to the group.
- Stay at least 8-yards from other players to avoid extra damage from Static Charge.
- Avoid the impact location of Power Discharge and don't stand in resulting static field.
- The lightning patches from this are permanent. To deal with this, I recommend starting The Curator at one end of the hallway and slowly kiting him down the hall as the floor is covered.
Stage Two - Regenerating Mana
During this stage, The Curator is stationary while channeling Evocation. The Stage ends when it reaches 100% mana again.
- During this time, The Curator takes 100% increased damage. There shouldn't be any healing required during this Stage, so you can help DPS if possible.
- Be prepared for the moderate to heavy damage from Overload when The Curator reaches 100% mana.
You will repeat the two Stages until The Curator is killed.
Shade of Medivh
While below 100% mana, Medivh will randomly use any of three abilities.
- Piercing Missiles will be channeled on the tank, each tick of damage applies a debuff that increases Arcane damage taken.
- Be prepared for the tank to take heavy damage if this ability is not interrupted. Use an external cooldown to help keep them alive.
- Frostbite deals heavy damage to the targeted player and freezes them indefinitely.
- Make sure the group is near full health if this ability is not being interrupted to prevent the targeted player from being killed.
- Inferno Bolt deals moderate damage to the targeted player and all players with in 8-yards and applies a light damage over time effect.
- Stay at least 8-yards away from other players to prevent extra damage.
- If you are affected by Inferno Bolt, you can briefly stand near players frozen from Frostbite to free them.
- Inferno Bolt should be tracked on your raid frames so you know who needs extra healing.
When Medivh reaches 100% mana, he will use one of three abilties.
- Ceaseless Winter applies a stacking damage over time and movement speed decreasing effect to all players.
- Keep moving so the stacks stay as low as possible. Reaching 20 stacks will prevent you from moving completely, making it so you can't decrease you stacks.
- Be prepared to use a group-healing cooldown if your group has a lot of low-mobility DPS (usually casters like mages, warlocks, etc).
- If your group is mostly high-mobility DPS (melee, hunters, etc) you may not even notice the damage at all.
- Flame Wreath surrounds two random players with a flame circle. Crossing in or out of the circles will kill the entire group.
- Stop moving when Flame Wreath is being cast. It doesn't matter if the circles end up overlapping as long as no one moves.
- In rare instances, the Wreaths can overlap players in such a way that they will trigger even if no one moves.
- Guardian's Image summons three images around the room.
- Arcane Bolt deals increasing damage to random players and is interruptable.
- Shimmer deals increasing damage to the group.
- Be prepared to use a group-healing cooldown if the Arcane damage is allowed to stack too high.
You will continue to cycle through Medivh's mana pool until he is killed.
The goal of this encounter is to keep the Mana Devourer from reaching 100% mana and using Decimating Essence
- Coalesce Power causes the Mana Devourer to expel its mana around the room.
- Players should pick up as little Loose Mana as possible, you only need to pick up enough to keep the boss below 100%.
- As the fight goes on, more and more Loose Mana will spawn each time meaning more must be picked up.
- Picking up Mana causes stacks of Unstable Mana.
- Keep these stacks under control to prevent yourself from dying.
- Unstable Mana could be tracked on your raid frames so you know which players have the highest stacks.
- Energy Void creates a void zone in a random location.
- You should stand in the void zone to decrease your Unstable Mana stacks if they are too high.
- Avoid standing in the void zones if you are not decreasing your stacks.
- Energy Discharge deals moderate damage to the entire group.
- This damage can quickly become deadly when coupled with high Unstable Mana stacks.
- Avoid standing near Arcane Bomb locations.
Viz'aduum the Watcher
This encounter consists of three Stages that take place in different locations.
Stage One - Netherspace
This Stage occurs between 100% and 66% health.
- If you're targeted by Command: Fel Beam, kite the beam away from other players and avoid the fire patches that are left behind.
- Be prepared to heal the light to moderate damage caused to the fixated player.
- Command: Fel Beam should be tracked on your raid frames so you know who is affected and will need healing.
- Avoid standing in impact locations from Command: Bombardment.
- If you're affected by Chaotic Shadows, move away from the rest of the group before the debuff expires or is dispelled.
- When the debuff expires or is dispelled it releases a ring of Shadow Orbs that must be avoided.
- Chaotic Shadows should be tracked on your raid frames so you know who will need extra healing and so you can dispel the debuff early if the player is in position.
- Try to avoid Disintegrate, which is targeted at random players.
- Burning Blast deals a moderate amount of damage and applies a stacking damage over time effect to the tank, which can be dispelled.
- Burning Blast should be tracked on your raid frames so it can be dispelled when it reaches two or more stacks.
Stage Two - Command Ship
Upon reaching 66% health Viz'aduum will open a portal, all players should follow him through it. This Stage ends at 33% health.
- Most abilities from Stage One are the same except:
- There is a short gauntlet you must run through when you first reach this stage. Avoid the Soul Harvest lightning being expelled from the pillars. There is a small path you can zig-zag through and not be hit.
- Anyone hit by the lightning will need a moderate amount of healing.
Stage Three - The Rift!
- All abilities from Stage Two are the same, except:
- When you first reach this stage, Viz'aduum will be channeling .
- Make your way through the gauntlet of adds before the channel finishes.
- Felguard Sentries apply Blazing Hamstring to the tank.
- Blazing Hamstring should be tracked on your raid frames so it can be dispelled when it reaches two stacks or higher.
- Fel Flame Spitters will cast Shadow Phlegm on random players.
- Stay at least 6-yards away from other players to prevent additional damage.
- The initial adds from the gauntlet should be killed, however the new adds that spawn throughout the rest of the fight should mostly be ignored while DPS focuses the boss.
- Be prepared for the steadily increasing damage on the tank as the adds start piling up.
Nightbane is a two-stage fight where you alternate between fighting Nightbane on the ground and then an add when Nightbane takes flight.
Stage One - nightbane
- Don't stand in front of the boss to avoid Cinder Breath.
- Charred Earth is cast on a random player, usually ranged DPS or the healer.
- Your ranged players should start at one end of the room and pack the fire patches as close to each other as possible.
- When affected by Ignite Soul you need to stand in Charred Earth or otherwise damage yourself before it expires.
- Burning Bones needs to be dispelled eventually, but until then the affected player will need extra healing.
- Try to dispel it with 1-stack left, so only one skeleton is spawned.
- Reverberating Shadows needs to be interrupted or it will deal heavy damage to the group.
Stage Two - bonecurse add
This Stage ends when the Bonecurse add is killed.
- When Nightbane flies into the air, a Bonecurse add will spawn.
- The Bonecurse add will use Absorb Vitality on random players, be prepared to heal them.
- Nightbane will continue to use Charred Earth and Burning Bones in this Stage.
Debuffs to Track
- Dent Armor should be tracked so you know when the tank needs extra healing.
- Bloody Jab causes players to need extra healing.
- Coat Check should be tracked so you know when the tank needs to be dispelled.
- (Optional) Garrote could be tracked so you know who has the highest stacks, but most of the time everyone should have about the same.
Shade of Medivh
- Inferno Bolt should be tracked so you know who needs extra healing.
- (Optional) Unstable Mana could be tracked so you know which players have the highest stacks, but most of the time everyone should be keeping their stacks low.
Viz'aduum the Watcher
- Command: Fel Beam causes players to need extra healing.
- Chaotic Shadows causes players to need extra healing and can be dispelled under certain circumstances.
- Burning Blast needs to be dispelled when it reaches two stacks or higher.
- Blazing Hamstring causes the tank to take additional damage and should be dispelled if it reaches two stacks or higher.
- Ignite Soul so you know not to top the affected player off until the debuff expires.
- Burning Bones needs to be dispelled when it reaches 1-stack.
- Absorb Vitality causes players to require extra healing.
September 05, 2017 - Reviewed for patch 7.3, no changes needed.
June 13, 2017 - Reviewed healer guide for 7.2.5, no changes needed.
- Reviewed for patch 7.1.5.
November 20, 2016 - Added Nightbane to the Healer guide.
November 01, 2016 - Added video to the DPS guide.
October 31, 2016 - Full review and update of the Healer guide.
October 29, 2016 - Full review and update of DPS guide.
October 27, 2016 - Updated Maiden and Opera: Wikket sections in the DPS guide.
October 26, 2016 - Added DBM settings to the Healer guide.
October 25, 2016 - Healer guide created.