This page covers a healer-focused strategy for Archimonde in The Battle for Mount Hyjal in The Burning Crusade. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the encounter, combat log information, and Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
- Before staring the encounter, every player should have a Tears of the Goddess from Tyrande Whisperwind in the camp leading up to Archimonde.
- If no players are in melee range, Finger of Death deals fatal damage to random players (and their children, and their children's children).
- Stay more than 13-yards away from as many players as possible to mitigate the number of players hit by Air Burst each time.
- All players hit are launched high into the air and should use their Tears of the Goddess before hitting the ground.
- Dispel Grip of the Legion (curse) to prevent the heavy damage over time.
- Avoid the doomfire trails from Doomfire Strike, which slowly follow random players.
- Players hit take light damage over time (I need to check the name and ID of this once logs are available).
- Fears all players with Fear (dispel, magic).
- When a player dies, Archimonde gains the ability to use a special power once per player death, depending on the player's class.
- Paladin, Rogue, and Warrior deaths grant Soul Charge which deals light damage to all players and greatly increases their damage taken.
- Mage, Priest, and Warlock deaths grant Soul Charge which deals heavy damage to all players and silences them.
- Druid, Hunter, and Shaman deaths grant Soul Charge which drains mana from and deals heavy damage over time to all players.
- After 9-minutes, Hand of Death kills all players.
- Players generally won't make use of any additional Resistances on this encounter.
The notes below mostly pertain to progression difficulty, meaning if you out-gear the encounter or use extra healers they may not apply.
- Use Cooldowns
- use cooldowns as-needed, especially to recover from Fear
- Other things to watch for
- This fight is largely personal responsibility as most things that will kill a player can't be prevented by healing. However, it's very important that no one dies as Archimonde using a Soul Charge will almost certainly cause a wipe.
Debuffs to Track
- Grip of the Legion (dispel, curse) should be dispelled quickly.
- (Optional) Fear (dispel, magic) can be dispelled, but will affect all players so it may just clutter raid frames.
Below are the DBM settings I'll be using for Archimonde in The Battle for Mount Hyjal. You can set them up however you'd like, but these ones should work well as a starting point.