This page covers a healer-focused strategy for Leotheras the Blind in Serpentshrine Cavern in The Burning Crusade. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the encounter, combat log information, and Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
During this encounter, players will be alternating between stage one and two before finally entering stage three.
Stage One - Humanoid
This stage begins the encounter and ends after ~45-seconds. It begins again after ~60-seconds in stage two.
- During Whirlwind, stay more than 10-yards away to avoid the moderate damage over time effect. Threat resets when this ends.
Stage Two - Demon
This stage begins after ~45-seconds in stage one and ends after ~60-seconds. It begins again after another ~45-seconds in stage one.
- The boss is sometimes tanked by a Warlock during this stage.
- The tank will be dealing with stacks of Chaos Blast, greatly increasing fire damage taken.
- When affected by Insidious Whisper, kill your Inner Demon before stage one begins or you will be mind-controlled by Consuming Madness.
- Inner Demon
- Can only be damaged by the player they belong to.
- Take increased damage from Arcane, Nature, and Holy.
- Take reduced damage from Shadow and Fire.
- Susceptible to crowd control, snares, and knock backs.
- Interrupt Shadow Bolt to prevent the moderate damage dealt.
- Inner Demon
Stage Three - Split
This stage begins when Leotheras reaches 15% health and ends once he's killed.
- Players fight Human and Demon Leotheras at the same time.
- Both forms act the same as in the stages above except Insidious Whisper is not used.
- The tank for stage two should have ~365 Fire Resistance.
- Other players generally won't make use of additional resistances on this encounter.
The notes below mostly pertain to progression difficulty, meaning if you out-gear the encounter or use extra healers they may not apply.
- Use Cooldowns
- on Whirlwind
- as-needed to keep the tank alive during stage two
- Other things to watch for
- Other healers may be preoccupied killing their Inner Demons during stage two.
Debuffs to Track
- Insidious Whisper can cause players to need additional healing.
- Chaos Blast causes the tank to need additional healing.
- Whirlwind causes players to need additional healing.
Below are the DBM settings I'll be using for Leotheras the Blind in Serpentshrine Cavern. You can set them up however you'd like, but these ones should work well as a starting point.