This page covers a healer-focused strategy for the Shade of Aran in Karazhan in The Burning Crusade. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the encounter, combat log information, and Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
- Several abilities should be interrupted whenever possible to prevent the moderate damage dealt to random players.
- Stay at least 10-yards away to avoid the interrupt effect from Counterspell.
- Dispel Chains of Ice (magic) to remove the root effect.
- Stay at least 10-yards away from the player affected by Dragon's Breath.
- Uses one of the special spells below about every 30-seconds, but never uses the same spell twice in a row.
- Targets three random players with Flame Wreath, creating a small flame circle around them. If an affected player leaves their flame circle it detonates, dealing critical damage to all players.
- During Circular Blizzard, avoid the location of the Blizzard that rotates around the room.
- After being pulled in by Massive Magnetic Pull and slowed by Mass Slow (dispel, magic), move at least 20-yards away from Aran to avoid Charged Arcane Explosion.
- At 40% health, summons four Conjured Elementals.
- Conjured Elemental
- Deals light damage to random players with Water Bolt.
- Despawns after 90-seconds.
- Conjured Elemental
- At 20% health, incapacitates all players with Mass Polymorph (dispel, magic) before using Conjure Water to regain mana, and finally deals heavy damage to all players with Pyroblast.
- After 12-minutes, four Shadows of Aran spawn and use various elemental volley spells to deal fatal damage to all players.
The notes below mostly pertain to progression difficulty, meaning if you out-gear the encounter or use extra healers they may not apply.
- Use Cooldowns
- while Water Elementals are active
- after Pyroblast
- Other things to watch for
- Damage on this encounter is random as far as which player it's going to hit. It can be beneficial to keep all players near full health to ensure they survive if they're targeted by multiple abilities.
- Mass Slow (dispel, magic) should be dispelled whenever possible, especially from players that may not make it 20-yards from Aran while slowed.
Debuffs to Track
- Chains of Ice (dispel, magic) should be dispelled immediately to ensure the affected player can remain mobile.
- Dragon's Breath causes players to need additional healing over time.
- Mass Slow (dispel, magic) should be dispelled on players that may not otherwise make it out of the resulting Charged Arcane Explosion.
- Mass Polymorph (dispel, magic) can technically be dispelled, but in most cases all players will be affected by this at once and there's really no penalty for waiting out the entire duration.
Below are the DBM settings I'll be using for the Shade of Aran in Karazhan. You can set them up however you'd like, but these ones should work well as a starting point.