This page covers a healer-focused strategy for the Chess Event in Karazhan in The Burning Crusade. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the encounter, combat log information, and Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
Players take control of Warcraft-themed chess pieces to fight the opposing faction's pieces rather than fighting directly.
- To begin the encounter, a player must take control of King Llane/Warchief Blackhand.
- To win the encounter, the opposing King must be killed.
- Talking to a piece to gain control over it changes the player's action bar and camera view to that of the piece, with the abilities noted below.
- Exiting a piece applies Recently In Game, preventing the affected player from taking control of a new piece for 20-seconds.
- Shared Abilities
- King Llane/Warchief Blackhand (King)
- Human Conjurer/Orc Warlock (Queen)
- Can move up to three squares in a straight line or up to two squares diagonally.
- Elemental Blast/Fireball deals damage to a targeted enemy piece up to four squares away in a straight line or three squares away diagonally.
- Rain of Fire/Poison Cloud deals damage over time to enemy pieces in the targeted square and all adjacent squares. Targetable up to four squares away in a straight line or three squares away diagonally.
- Human Cleric/Orc Neophyte (Bishop)
- Conjured Water Elements/Summoned Demon (Rook)
- Human Charger/Orc Wolf (Knight)
- Human Footman/Orc Grunt (Pawn)
- Medivh will occasionally use "cheats" throughout the encounter, making things slightly harder.
- This is not a traditional fight to heal as the only way to heal the chess pieces is by using the Bishop's ability.
- If you're playing as a Bishop piece, I would prioritize healing the following: King, Queen, Bishop. That will likely use up all of your healing capacity, but if you find yourself with extra, you can also heal the Rooks, Knights, and Pawns, in that order of importance.
- Regardless of which piece you're in charge of, try to avoid Rain of Fire/Poison Cloud and Fury of Medivh while always giving your King right of way to move.
Debuffs to Track
- There are no particular debuffs to track.
Below are the DBM settings I'll be using for the Chess Event in Karazhan. You can set them up however you'd like, but these ones should work well as a starting point.