This page covers a healer-focused strategy for High King Maulgar in Gruul's Lair in The Burning Crusade. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the encounter, combat log information, and Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
- The bosses can be killed in any order, but in general they'll be killed in the order below. Even if the overall order is different, Maulgar will always be last.
- Blindeye the Seer
- Olm the Summoner
- Often tanked using a Wild Fel Stalker enslaved by a Warlock.
- The tank will be dealing with stacks of Dark Decay.
- Targets random players with Death Coil, dealing moderate damage and horrifying them.
- Summons a Wild Fel Stalker.
- Krosh Firehand
- Kiggler the Crazed
- Often tanked by a Balance Druid instead of a traditional tank.
- The tank will be dealing with several abilities.
- Stay at least 30-yards away to avoid Arcane Explosion.
- High King Maulgar
- The tanks will be dealing with the knock back from Mighty Blow.
- Don't stand in front to avoid Arcing Smash
- Stay at least 8-yards away to avoid Whirlwind.
- Upon reaching 50% health, gains Flurry, greatly increasing attack speed and physical damage dealt. Also gains additional abilities.
The notes below mostly pertain to progression difficulty, meaning if you out-gear the encounter or use extra healers they may not apply.
- Use Cooldowns
- as-needed throughout the encounter, especially to keep all of the players who are tanking alive early on
- Other things to watch for
- It can be helpful to assign a healer to each tanking player to ensure no tank goes without healing, this includes the Wild Fel Stalker.
- Make sure the Maulgar tank is near full health before the boss reaches 50% health, the additional damage can come on strong.
Debuffs to Track
- Dark Decay causes the tank to need light to moderate healing over time.
- Several abilities cause players to be incapacitated.
Buffs to Purge
- Spell Shield should be spell stolen by the Mage tanking Krosh, or purged if a Mage isn't tanking.
Below are the DBM settings I'll be using for High King Maulgar in Gruul's Lair. You can set them up however you'd like, but these ones should work well as a starting point.