This page covers a healer-focused strategy for Gruul the Dragonkiller in Gruul's Lair in The Burning Crusade. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the encounter, combat log information, and Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
- The tanks will be dealing with Hurtful Strike.
- A series of abilities have to be dealt with by all players, with the goal being to get ~12-yards away from other players to mitigate the damage dealt.
- Avoid the locations of Cave Ins.
- Silences all players with Reverberation.
- Gains a stack of Growth every 30-seconds, increasing damage dealt.
The notes below mostly pertain to progression difficulty, meaning if you out-gear the encounter or use extra healers they may not apply.
- Use Cooldowns
- Other things to watch for
- Both the main-tank and off-tank will be taking heavy damage throughout the encounter.
- You should be aiming to kill Gruul before ~15 stacks of Growth, after which point the tanks will be in danger of being killed in one hit.
Debuffs to Track
- There are no particular debuffs to track.
Below are the DBM settings I'll be using for Gruul the Dragonkiller in Gruul's Lair. You can set them up however you'd like, but these ones should work well as a starting point.