This page covers a healer-focused strategy for Gurtogg Bloodboil in the Black Temple in The Burning Crusade. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the encounter, combat log information, and Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
During this encounter, players will be alternating between the two stages.
Stage One - Boiling Blood
This stage begins the encounter and ends after 60-seconds. It begins again following 30-seconds in stage two.
- The tanks will be dealing with:
- Don't stand in front to avoid Arcing Smash.
- Applies Blood Boil to the five furthest players, dealing light damage over time.
Stage Two - Fel Rage
This stage begins after 60-seconds in stage one and ends after 30-seconds. It begins again following 60-seconds in stage one.
- Gains Fel Rage, greatly increasing damage dealt while gaining stacks of Fury, increasing attack speed.
- Don't stand in front to avoid:
- Insignificance prevents all threat/aggro generation.
- Players generally won't make use of any additional Resistances on this encounter.
The notes below mostly pertain to progression difficulty, meaning if you out-gear the encounter or use extra healers they may not apply.
- Use Cooldowns
- as-needed to keep the player targeted by Fel Rage alive
- Other things to watch for
- This can be a healing intensive fight, so conserving mana whenever possible will be necessary.
Debuffs to Track
- Fel Rage causes players to need heavy healing over time.
- Fel-Acid Breath causes players to need heavy healing over time.
- Acidic Wound causes players to need additional healing over time.
- Blood Boil causes players to need additional healing over time.
- (Optional) Arcing Smash causes players to receive reduced healing, however, in most cases this will be the same player affected by Fel Rage.
- (Optional) Bewildering Strike causes the player to be disoriented, which could be useful to know, but isn't entirely necessary.
Below are the DBM settings I'll be using for Gurtogg Bloodboil in the Black Temple. You can set them up however you'd like, but these ones should work well as a starting point.
Comment on Gurtogg Bloodboil, Healer Guide
Changelog - View the last ten changes. - +
January 23, 2022 - 10:20 pm (Supremus) - Updated Fixate spell ID.