This page covers a healer-focused strategy for Skolex, the Insatiable Ravener in Sepulcher of the First Ones in Shadowlands. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the encounter, combat log information, and Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
Normal and Heroic
- Several abilities, noted below, apply stacks of Ephemera Dust to players, which deals increasing light to moderate damage over time.
- These stacks must be managed with Ravening Burrow, detailed below.
- The tanks will be dealing with several abilities.
- Both tanks will be taking damage from Wormhole Jaws by staying within 10-yards of each other.
- At 100% energy, a combination of abilities occurs:
- If no players are in melee range, Destroy deals fatal damage to random players.
- Don't stand in front to avoid Riftmaw and Rend.
- Having all players within 10-yards of one another triggers Ravening Burrow.
- Deals moderate damage to and removes all stacks of Ephemera Dust from all players hit.
- Grants Skolex a stack of Insatiable, increasing damage dealt.
- If no players are hit, Dust Wave deals heavy damage and applies ten stacks of Ephemera Dust to all players.
- Avoid the Collapsing Emptiness impact location where Skolex burrowed from.
- Don't stand in front when it turns to cast Retch.
- Players hit take moderate damage, moderate damage over time, and are disoriented and teleported randomly by Warp Sickness.
- Avoid the impact locations of Devouring Blood (dispel, magic).
- Targets the furthest three players with Dust Blast, applying a stack of Ephemera Dust to all players within 10-yards.
- Deals light damage and applies a stack of Ephemera Dust to all players with Dust Flail.
- Players must stand with the tank to help split the damage from Riftmaw.
- Avoid the Volatile Residue pools left behind by several abilities.
Quick Notes, All Difficulties
The notes below mostly pertain to progression difficulty, meaning if you out-gear the difficulty you're on or use extra healers they may not apply.
- Use Major Cooldowns on
- Use Minor Cooldowns
- Pre-heal Before (mainly for heal over time classes)
- Potion of Spiritual Clarity use
- once in position after a Ravening Burrow
- Other things to watch for
Debuffs to Track
- Devouring Blood (dispel, magic) should be dispelled immediately.
- Several abilities cause players to need additional healing over time.
- (Optional) Ephemera Dust causes players to need additional healing over time, however, most players will be affected by this at the same time, so it may clutter raid frames.
Sepulcher of the First Ones DBM Import Code for Healers - +
To use this import code, install the Deadly Boss Mods addon, type /dbm in your chat, expand the Shadowlands header in the left-hand panel, click on the Sepulcher of the First Ones heading, click on the Load AddOn button in the right-hand panel if necessary, click on the Import Profile button, paste the code into the box and click Import. Note that importing this code will replace all of your current settings for all Sepulcher of the First One bosses.
Comment on Skolex, Healer Guide
Changelog - View the last ten changes. - +
April 01, 2022 - 3:58 pm (The Jailer) - Made clarifications to Heroic differences.
April 01, 2022 - 2:43 pm (Rygelon) - Corrected Cosmic Core information on Heroic.
March 31, 2022 - 3:44 am (Lords of Dread) - Updated timeframe to end Infiltration to 40-seconds, based on a recent hotfix.
March 31, 2022 - 3:43 am (Halondrus) - Updated Volatile Charge information based on recent hotfixes.
March 30, 2022 - 2:05 pm (Dausegne) - Corrected Staggering Barrage spell ID.
March 30, 2022 - 1:21 pm (Artificer Xy'mox) - Corrected and clarified Genesis Ring information.
March 28, 2022 - 12:41 pm (Dausegne) - Updated Staggering Barrage spell ID.
March 27, 2022 - 2:42 pm (Lihuvim) - Corrected Resonance information as not being a stack to split mechanic.
March 26, 2022 - 3:00 pm (Anduin Wrynn) - Updated cooldown usage information.
March 26, 2022 - 2:45 pm (The Jailer) - Updated cooldown usage information, added mythic stage four information.