This page covers a healer-focused strategy for The Tarragrue in Sanctum of Domination in Shadowlands. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the encounter, combat log information, and Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
- During the trash before this encounter, players have the opportunity to pick up various Anima Powers to aid them, similar to those in Torghast.
Normal and Heroic
- The tanks will be dealing with Overpower, stunning them and greatly increasing physical damage taken with Crushed Armor.
- Soothe Fury of the Ages to remove the increased damage dealt and haste effect.
- Alternatively, if a player has the Disembodied Mystic Hands Anima Power, they can be allowed to steal it.
- Targets a random player with Chains of Eternity, after 8-seconds the first player hit in the line is pulled in and killed by Annihilating Smash.
- This can be mitigated by having a player with an immunity or the Ever-Beating Heart Anima Power be the first one hit.
- When Predator's Howl is cast, stay more than 5-yards away from other players to avoid being feared by Unshakeable Dread.
- During Hungering Mist, stay more than 25-yards away from the Tarragrue Images to avoid the heavy damage.
- Deals heavy damage over time to random players with Grasp of Death.
- On Heroic, Remnant of Forgotten Torment should be absorbed by players walking into them. Absorbing a portion of a Remnant applies a negative effect to the player for 1.5-minutes while lessening the "global" effect on all players or enemies.
- Remnant: Upper Reaches' Might
- Global effect: Increases physical damage dealt by all enemies.
- Absorbed effect: Increases physical damage taken.
- Remnant: Mort'regar's Echoes
- Global effect: Increases magic damage dealt by all enemies.
- Absorbed effect: Increases magic damage taken.
- Avoid absorbing this with Remnant: Soulforge Heat.
- Remnant: Soulforge Heat
- Global effect: Deals moderate damage over time to all players.
- Absorbed effect: Deals light damage over time.
- Avoid absorbing this with Remnant: Mort'regar's Echoes.
- Remnant: Upper Reaches' Might
- At 10% health, The Jailer's Gaze removes all Anima Powers from players and greatly increases Tarragrue's damage dealt.
- Remnant of Forgotten Torment are now summoned in sets of two and their effects on absorbing players last for the entire encounter.
Quick Notes, All Difficulties
The notes below mostly pertain to progression difficulty, meaning if you out-gear the difficulty you're on or use extra healers they may not apply.
- Use Major Cooldowns on
- Grasp of Death [occurs about every 30-seconds]
- Use Minor Cooldowns
- on Remnant: Soulforge Heat [occurs about every 60-seconds]
- as-needed as the Remnant effects affect more players
- Pre-heal Before (mainly for heal over time classes)
- Potion of Spiritual Clarity use
- Other things to watch for
- Keep the tanks near full health and use external defensive cooldowns as-needed so they can survive Overpower.
Debuffs to Track
- Crushed Armor can cause the tanks to need additional healing, although a tank swap should occur before this is an issue.
- Unshakeable Dread (dispel, magic) should be dispelled immediately.
- Grasp of Death causes players to need additional healing over time.
- Remnant: Soulforge Heat causes players to need additional healing over time.
- Several debuffs can cause players to need additional healing.
Enrages to Soothe
Below are the DBM settings I'll be using for The Tarragrue in Sanctum of Domination. You can set them up however you'd like, but these ones should work well as a starting point. Some settings may be Mythic only.
Comment on The Tarragrue, Healer Guide
Changelog - View the last ten changes. - +
August 04, 2021 - 1:31 pm (Painsmith Raznal) - Changed cooldown usage recommendations.
August 04, 2021 - 11:15 am (Sylvanas Windrunner) - Clarified Domination Chain information.
July 28, 2021 - 11:59 am (Sylvanas Windrunner) - Made minor guide updates and clarifications, fixed some broken spell links.
July 13, 2021 - 9:06 pm (Sylvanas Windrunner) - Updated health breakpoint for ending stage one based on hotfix notes.
July 10, 2021 - 6:02 pm (Painsmith Raznal) - Added better Spiked information.
July 10, 2021 - 1:33 am (Painsmith Raznal) - Updated Shadowsteel Chains spell ID, hopefully for the last time.
July 09, 2021 - 9:49 pm (Soulrender Dormazain) - Updated Torment and Tormented Eruptions information.
July 08, 2021 - 4:55 pm (Guardian of the First Ones) - Updated Obliterate spell ID.
July 08, 2021 - 4:34 pm (Painsmith Raznal) - Updated Shadowsteel Chains and Spiked spell ID.
July 06, 2021 - 11:39 pm (The Nine) - Updated Fragments of Destiny spell ID.