This page covers a healer-focused strategy for Sludgefist in Castle Nathria in Shadowlands. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the encounter, combat log information, and Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
Normal and Heroic
- The tanks will be dealing with Giant Fists, forcing both tanks to be stacked on each other and taking damage at the same time.
- When affected by Chain Link, move within 15-yards of the player you're linked to for the duration of the debuff.
- Moving 15-yards away from the other linked player deals fatal damage with Shattering Chain.
- At 100% Rage, when affected by Hateful Gaze, move so there is a pillar between you and Sludgefist.
- If not affected, avoid the path between Sludgefist and the affected player to avoid the fatal damage from Heedless Charge.
- If a pillar is hit, a stack of Crumbling Foundation is applied to all players, dealing increasing light damage over time for the rest of the encounter.
- If a wall is hit, Collapsing Foundation deals heavy damage to all players for the rest of the encounter.
- Upon hitting a pillar or wall, Destructive Impact deals light damage to all players and stuns Sludgefist, increasing damage taken for 12-seconds.
- On Heroic, stack with the player affected by Chain Slam to split the damage taken.
- Stay at least 20-yards away to avoid Destructive Stomp.
- The tanks will be dealing with positioning so this doesn't destroy any pillars.
- Avoid the impact locations of Falling Rubble and the resulting Stonequakes.
- Deals light damage to all players and knocks them back with Colossal Roar.
- At 20% health, gains Gruesome Rage, increasing damage dealt and attack speed.
- Destructive Impact now triggers Fractured Boulder.
- The impact location of Fractured Boulder must be soaked by at least one player, multiple players will split the damage taken.
- Subsequent impact locations of Fractured Debris must also be soaked.
- Soaking an impact applies Crushed, making subsequent soaks likely fatal while the debuff is active.
- If any impact isn't soaked, Fractured Impact deals heavy damage to all players.
- At least four players must be hit by Chain Slam to prevent Sludgefist from gaining Vengeful Rage, greatly increasing damage dealt and attack speed.
- Players hit take light damage over time from Chain Bleed.
- Avoid the impact locations of Seismic Shift.
Quick Notes, All Difficulties
The notes below mostly pertain to progression difficulty, meaning if you out-gear the difficulty you're on or use extra healers they may not apply.
- Use Major Cooldowns on
- Use Minor Cooldowns
- Pre-heal Before (mainly for heal over time classes)
- Potion of Spiritual Clarity use
- likely just after a Destructive Impact
- Other things to watch for
Debuffs to Track
- (Heroic) Chain Slam causes players to need additional healing.
- (Optional) Hateful Gaze doesn't require the player to need additional healing if handled properly, but seeing the debuff can act as another early warning for the damage to come.
- (Mythic) Chain Bleed causes players to need additional healing.
Below are the DBM settings I'll be using for Sludgefist in Castle Nathria. You can set them up however you'd like, but these ones should work well as a starting point. Some settings may be Mythic only.
- Sludgefist DBM settings will be added as soon as possible.