This page covers a healer-focused strategy for Shriekwing in Castle Nathria in Shadowlands. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the encounter, combat log information, and Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
Normal and Heroic
This encounter alternates between two stages.
Stage One - Thirst for Blood
This stage begins the encounter and ends when Shriekwing reaches 100 Blood. It begins again following stage two.
- Several abilities apply stacks of Exsanguinated to players, reducing healing received, movement speed, and dealing damage over time.
- The tanks will be dealing with Exsanguinating Bite, gaining 4 stacks of Exsanguinated and granting Shriekwing 10 Blood.
- Don't stand in front of the boss to avoid Cleave.
- When targeted by Dark Descent, move at least 10-yards away from other players. Additionally, avoid the subsequent impact location where Shriekwing originally took off from.
- Avoid the Echo Screech echoes as they emanate out from Shriekwing.
- When Earsplitting Shriek is cast, break line of sight on Shriekwing to reduce damage taken.
- Deals light damage to all players and applies a stack of Exsanguinated with Sanguine Feast.
Stage Two - Terror of Castle Nathria
This stage begins when Shriekwing reaches 100 Blood and ends after a set time. It begins again each time 100 Blood is reached.
- Various abilities can trigger Deadly Descent, which fears the offending player before dealing moderate damage to the player and all players within 7-yards.
- Takes reduced damage due to Bloodgorge.
- Attacking Shriekwing triggers Deadly Descent.
- Stay at least 16-yards away to avoid the fatal damage from Murder Prey.
- Avoid the Dark Sonar waves as they bounce around the room.
- Being hit triggers Deadly Descent.
- When Sonar Shriek is cast, break line of sight on Shriekwing.
Mythic information is still in the early stages and will be updated.
- The Blood Lantern allows the holder and nearby players to see sonar and soundwave effects from abilities like Echo Screech.
Quick Notes, All Difficulties
The notes below mostly pertain to progression difficulty, meaning if you out-gear the difficulty you're on or use extra healers they may not apply.
- Use Major Cooldowns on
- likely when players are clearing Exsanguinated stacks
- Use Minor Cooldowns on
- Pre-heal Before (mainly for heal over time classes)
- Potion of Spiritual Clarity use
- immediately following stage two
- Other things to watch for
Debuffs to Track
- Deadly Descent causes players to need additional healing.
- Echo Screech causes players to be stunned if hit.
- (Optional) Exsanguinated causes players to take reduced healing as well as need additional healing, however, most players will have this throughout the encounter so it may clutter raid frames.
- (Optional) Reverberating Pain causes players to need additional healing, however, all players will be affected by this at the same time so it may clutter raid frames.
Below are the DBM settings I'll be using for Shriekwing in Castle Nathria. You can set them up however you'd like, but these ones should work well as a starting point. Some settings may be Mythic only.
- Shriekwing DBM settings will be added as soon as possible.