This page covers a healer-focused strategy for Hungering Destroyer in Castle Nathria in Shadowlands. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the encounter, combat log information, and Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
Normal and Heroic
- The tanks will be dealing with stacks of Growing Hunger from Hungering Strikes.
- Additionally, the tanks will be dealing with Overwhelm, which will likely require defensive cooldowns to survive.
- Players affected by Gluttonous Miasma cannot be healed and will instead leech health from other players within 5-yards.
- When affected by Expunge, be prepared to move away from other players a varying distance based on your missing health.
- On Heroic, avoid the Obliterating Rifts left behind.
- Avoid the paths between the boss and players affected by Volatile Ejection.
- Being hit increases damage taken from subsequent Volatile Ejections.
- At 100% Energy, stay as far away from the boss as possible, running against the pull effect, to reduce the amount of health leeched by Consume.
- Deals moderate damage to all players with Desolate.
- Players who have health leeched by Gluttonous Miasma gain a stack of Essence Sap, increasing damage taken from the leech effect.
Quick Notes, All Difficulties
The notes below mostly pertain to progression difficulty, meaning if you out-gear the difficulty you're on or use extra healers they may not apply.
- Use Major Cooldowns on
- Use Minor Cooldowns on
- Pre-heal Before (mainly for heal over time classes)
- Potion of Spiritual Clarity use
- Other things to watch for
Debuffs to Track
- Gluttonous Miasma causes players to be unaffected by healing.
- On Mythic, (optional) Essence Sap causes players to need additional healing, however it's likely most players will have some number of stacks so this could clutter raid frames.
Below are the DBM settings I'll be using for Hungering Destroyer in Castle Nathria. You can set them up however you'd like, but these ones should work well as a starting point. Some settings may be Mythic only.
Comment on Hungering Destroyer, Healer Guide
Changelog - View the last ten changes. - +
January 26, 2021 - 3:49 pm (Stone Legion Generals) - Removed the note about the dispeller receiving Heart Hemorrhage on Mythic difficulty, this was removed in a patch.
January 11, 2021 - 6:07 pm (Sire Denathrius) - Added DBM settings.
January 11, 2021 - 5:59 pm (Stone Legion Generals) - Added DBM settings.
January 11, 2021 - 5:18 pm (Sludgefist) - Added DBM settings.
January 11, 2021 - 3:50 pm (The Council of Blood) - Added DBM settings.
January 05, 2021 - 1:47 am (Stone Legion Generals) - Changed mentions of Wicked Blade to Wicked Mark and updated its Spell ID - this is the actual spell players are targeted by.
January 05, 2021 - 1:41 am (Sun King's Salvation) - Changed Vulgar Brand to be noted as Magic instead of Curse. Removed Soul Infusion as a debuff to track as it doesn't actually apply a debuff.
January 02, 2021 - 10:25 pm (Stone Legion Generals) - Updated major/minor cooldown notes.
December 22, 2020 - 2:52 am (Huntsman Altimor) - Added Huntsman's Mark as the debuff targeting players before Sinseeker.
December 19, 2020 - 6:11 pm (Sludgefist) - Updated information for Hateful Gaze being a tank-only mechanic.