This page covers a DPS-focused strategy for Guarm in Normal and Heroic Trial of Valor. While it's tailored for DPS, other roles may also find the information useful. The information below is based on the live dungeon journal as well as available information from the PTR. Once the raid goes live, this guide will be updated. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @VirendraDG.
General mechanics to know about
Guarm's mechanics all require precise positioning and raid awareness. He has more one-shot mechanics than other bosses, and on top of that has a strict 4 minute enrage timer. This fight is only one phase.
- Guarm will use Guardian's Breath from each of his three heads. Each head will randomly use either a Shadow, Frost, or Fiery attack in a frontal cone. Example: On breath 1, the right head uses Fire, center head uses Shadow, and left head uses Frost. On breath 2, the right head might still use Fire, but the center head uses Frost, and the left head uses Shadow.
- Fiery Phlegm, Salty Spittle, and Dark Discharge are applied with their respective breaths (ie, Fire breath applies Fiery Phlegm, etc). The damage from these abilities are split evenly among the players in each cone.
- You will gain the debuff associated with each breath. If you are caught in any other type of breath after, you will instantly die. If you have, say, Fiery Phlegm, getting either Salty Spittle or Dark Discharge will kill you.
- The raid will be split into three groups to soak each type of breath. Stick to your group and stay aware of where your breath will be.
- The entire raid must be hit by a breath attack. For every raid member not hit, Guarm gains a stack of a damage buff called Frothing Rage. If 3 players did not get hit, Guarm gains 3 stacks, and so on.
- Flashing Fangs deals heavy damage to anyone up to 25 yards in front of Guarm.
- Melee will need to move behind/to the side and ranged MUST be 25 yards back.
- Guardian's Licks are a set of three possible Lick attacks that target a random player and affect everyone within 5 yards of that player.
- Flame Lick deals damage and applies an aura that deals damage every 0.5 seconds to every player in 5 yards.
- Frost Lick stuns the target and every player in 5 yards. The stun is dispellable.
- Shadow Lick applies a healing absorption that absorbs 1000000 worth of healing.
- Roaring Leap will knock back everyone within 25 yards of the boss. Guarm will then jump at the largest group of players, deal moderate damage, and knock everyone within 12 yards into the air.
- Periodically, Guarm jumps to one end of the arena and starts using Headlong Charge. He will run back and forth, dealing deadly damage to anyone in his path.
- Guarm enrages after 4 minutes.
- Stay 5 yards apart at all times to prevent Guardian's Licks debuffs from splashing.
- Ranged should stand 25 yards away and melee should stand behind the boss (or to his side if there isn't enough room) to avoid Flashing Fangs.
- Always stand in your assigned breath. If you are assigned Shadow, always run to Shadow. Mixing any breath debuffs will instantly kill you. Not being hit by any breath will cause Guarm to gain a stack of Frothing Rage.
- Run out of Guarm's way during Headlong Charge.
- As this is a one-phase fight with a short enrage, use all of your strong DPS cooldowns and Heroism/Time Warp/Bloodlust at the start of the encounter.
Comment on Guarm, DPS Guide
Changelog - View the last ten changes. - +
March 24, 2017 - 12:00 am (Trial of Valor) - Guides reviewed for patch 7.2, no major updates made.
January 21, 2017 - 12:00 am (Trial of Valor) - Added mythic information and video to the Guarm healer guide.
January 20, 2017 - 12:00 am (Trial of Valor) - Added mythic Odyn video and mythic information to healer guide.
January 15, 2017 - 12:00 am (Trial of Valor) - Added videos for heroic Guarm and Helya.
January 09, 2017 - 12:00 am (Trial of Valor) - Reviewed for patch 7.1.5.
January 06, 2017 - 12:00 am (Trial of Valor) - Added Heroic Odyn video to healer guide.
December 25, 2016 - 12:00 am (Trial of Valor) - Added Trial of Valor screenshots to the image slider.
November 21, 2016 - 12:00 am (Trial of Valor) - The Healer guides for Odyn and Guarm received significant updates now that I've seen the fights on Heroic.
November 20, 2016 - 12:00 am (Trial of Valor) - Added DBM settings to Helya healer guide.
November 18, 2016 - 12:00 am (Trial of Valor) - Added DBM settings to Guarm healer guide.