This page covers a healer-focused strategy for Nythendra in The Emerald Nightmare. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the fight as well as Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
Normal and Heroic
- On Heroic difficulty, you will gain stacks of Infested every time you take Plague damage. This debuff resets to zero at the end of every Stage 2.
Stage 1 - dragon stage
Stage 1 happens when Nythendra is in her dragon form and ends when she reaches zero energy.
- Remain 8-yards away from other players when you have Rot and before the debuff expires move to the outside of the room to drop the puddle it creates.
- Move out of Infested Breath, which is a frontal-cone Nythendra will periodically cast in a random direction. Do not stand in the Infested Ground that's left behind.
- Remember to use any movement speed or mobility spells you have to move quickly to avoid harmful mechanics during this stage.
Stage 2 - swarm stage
Stage 2 happens when Nythendra has run out of energy and ends when she reaches 100 energy, at which points the dragon stage begins again.
- Stay at least 8-yards away from the insects in this phase. They will cast Burst of Corruption which deals a significant amount of damage if you are hit.
The information below covers the new abilities and strategies introduced in Mythic difficulty. In addition to new things, you can expect all previous abilities to hit significantly harder.
Stage 1 - dragon stage
- Nythendra will use Infested Mind after her second Infested Breath before Stage 2 begins.
- When the cast finishes, players with 10 stacks of Infested will become mind-controlled and start pulsing Spread Infestation.
- Players who will become mind-controlled need to group up (usually on the tanks) just before Infested Mind is cast.
- Mind-controlled players should be stunned with <2 second duration stuns and killed quickly. It is important you do not stun them too long as they remain stunned after they are broken out. Try not to apply any damage over time effects to the players either, as these also remain when the mind-control is broken.
Healing this fight is relatively simple and shouldn't require any well-timed use of cooldowns to survive a mechanic if everything is handled properly.
- On Heroic and Mythic difficulty, be aware of the steadily increasing damage from Infested as you move into Stage 2.
- On Heroic, stacks are automatically cleared at the end of Stage 2.
- On Mythic, players with 10-stacks or more will be reset to 0 after they are affected by Infested Mind.
- Be prepared for damage spikes when Volatile Rot is about to detonate on a tank. Ideally, the tank should be far away and the damage won't be critical.
- Be aware of players who are caught in Infested Breath and Rot as they will require extra healing.
Debuffs to Track
- Rot causes players to need additional healing.
- (Optional) Infested can be tracked so you know who has higher stacks and will required extra healing.
- (Optional) On Mythic, Infested Mind can be tracked to show who is mind-controlled, that way you don't try to heal them while mind-control is active and so you know who will need healing when the mind-control is broken.
Below are the DBM settings I'll be using for Nythendra. You can set them up however you'd like, but these ones should work well as a starting point. Some settings may be Mythic only.
Heroic, Restoration Druid PoV
Below is a video of me and my guild defeating Nythendra on Heroic difficulty. There is no commentary, only game sounds.
Mythic, Restoration Druid PoV
Below is a video of me and my guild defeating Nythendra on Mythic difficulty. Again, there is no commentary, only game sounds.
Comment on Nythendra, Healer Guide
Changelog - View the last ten changes. - +
March 24, 2017 - 12:00 am (The Emerald Nightmare) - Guides reviewed for patch 7.2, no major updates made.
December 31, 2016 - 6:00 pm (The Emerald Nightmare) - Reviewed for patch 7.1.5.
December 25, 2016 - 12:00 am (The Emerald Nightmare) - Updated Healer guide for Xavius, adding Mythic kill video and additional Mythic information.
December 18, 2016 - 12:00 am (The Emerald Nightmare) - Updated Mythic Healer guide for Cenarius and added Mythic kill video.
November 24, 2016 - 12:00 am (The Emerald Nightmare) - Added Mythic video to Il'gynoth Healer guide.
November 14, 2016 - 12:00 am (The Emerald Nightmare) - Added Mythic videos to Ursoc and Dragons of Nightmare healer guides.
November 12, 2016 - 12:00 am (The Emerald Nightmare) - The Mythic information on the healer guide for Dragons of Nightmare was updated.
October 23, 2016 - 12:00 am (The Emerald Nightmare) - Added additional clarifications to the Mythic section of the Elerethe Healer guide, along with a Mythic video.
October 22, 2016 - 12:00 am (The Emerald Nightmare) - Added Heroic video to the Xavius Healer guide.
October 20, 2016 - 12:00 am (The Emerald Nightmare) - Added videos to the Healer guides for Nythendra (mythic), Il'gynoth, and Cenarius.