This page covers a DPS-focused strategy for Il'gynoth in The Emerald Nightmare. While it's tailored for DPS, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @SquidWonder.
This guide will be updated as needed.
Normal and Heroic
The information below pertains to Normal and Heroic difficulty. There are very few differences between Normal and Heroic, if something is Heroic-only it will be noted as such.
General mechanics to know about
- This fight requires defeating Il'gynoth's eye before players can enter the tree and destroy the Heart of Corruption
- Il'gynoth's eye can only be damaged by exploding Nightmare Ichor nearby
- Nightmare Ichor spawn when adds are defeated and fixate on random players
- Move out of group with Spew Corruption
- Interrupt Deathglare Tentacle's Mind Flay
- Watch for Dominator Tentacle's Ground Slam
- Once inside the tree, get out before Dark Reconstitution finishes casting
Stage 1 - The Ruined Ground
- Various types of adds will spawn and it's up to the DPS to get them down quickly while managing the mechanics. While it's important to not let the adds get overwhelming, make sure you keep a strong DPS cooldown for Stage 2
- Deathglare Tentacle's Mind Flay interrupted
- Corrupter Tentacles will cast Spew Corruption while it's up. When afflicted with Spew Corruption, you will drop pools of Nightmare Corruption for 10sec. Run these pools out of the group
- Nightmare Horrors will cast Eye of Fate in front of them, so be sure to stand behind or to the side.
- Dominator Tentacles will cast Ground Slam at a targeted player, dealing damage and a knockback to all players in a straight line. If you are targeted, side-step away from the group.
- When adds are killed, they will spawn Nightmare Ichor. The ichor will fixate on players who will then have to kite it over to the Eye of Il'gynoth. Nightmare Ichor can be stunned and slowed. Stunning is useful because its melee attacks apply a stacking DOT to the target.
- Do not kill or stun the Nightmare Ichor until it is next to the Eye of Il'gynoth. Each explosion that hits will deal 5% damage to the Eye. When the Eye reaches 0%, Stage 2 begins
Stage 2 - The Heart of Corruption
- Kill any remaining Nightmare Ichor to avoid Reabsorption
- Use Heroism/Bloodlust/Time Warp and any other strong DPS cooldowns in this phase
- Il'gynoth will start to cast Cursed Blood on random players. After 8 seconds of DOT damage, the target explodes, dealing lots of damage to anyone within 11 yards. Make sure you stay away from [Cursed Blood] targets
- Exit the chamber before Dark Reconstitution is finished casting, or you will die
- The raid has two of these phases to kill the boss. The second time you enter the chamber, instead of casting Dark Reconstitution, Il'gynoth will cast Final Torpor, instantly killing the raid upon completion
- Follow your raid leader for add priority; this section will be updated to reflect what works for my group
- Do not kill the Nightmare Ichor until they're in range of the Eye
- Save strongest DPS cooldowns for Stage 2
- Use personal defensive cooldowns if affected by Cursed Blood
- Get out of the tree before Dark Reconstitution is finished
- Warnings and announces for when you are afflicted with Cursed Blood, Spew Corruption, Ground Slam, and Nightmare Ichor fixate
- A timer for Dark Reconstitution and Final Torpor
Comment on Il'gynoth, DPS Guide
Changelog - View the last ten changes. - +
March 24, 2017 - 12:00 am (The Emerald Nightmare) - Guides reviewed for patch 7.2, no major updates made.
December 31, 2016 - 6:00 pm (The Emerald Nightmare) - Reviewed for patch 7.1.5.
December 25, 2016 - 12:00 am (The Emerald Nightmare) - Updated Healer guide for Xavius, adding Mythic kill video and additional Mythic information.
December 18, 2016 - 12:00 am (The Emerald Nightmare) - Updated Mythic Healer guide for Cenarius and added Mythic kill video.
November 24, 2016 - 12:00 am (The Emerald Nightmare) - Added Mythic video to Il'gynoth Healer guide.
November 14, 2016 - 12:00 am (The Emerald Nightmare) - Added Mythic videos to Ursoc and Dragons of Nightmare healer guides.
November 12, 2016 - 12:00 am (The Emerald Nightmare) - The Mythic information on the healer guide for Dragons of Nightmare was updated.
October 23, 2016 - 12:00 am (The Emerald Nightmare) - Added additional clarifications to the Mythic section of the Elerethe Healer guide, along with a Mythic video.
October 22, 2016 - 12:00 am (The Emerald Nightmare) - Added Heroic video to the Xavius Healer guide.
October 20, 2016 - 12:00 am (The Emerald Nightmare) - Added videos to the Healer guides for Nythendra (mythic), Il'gynoth, and Cenarius.