This page covers a healer-focused strategy for Varimathras in Antorus, the Burning Throne. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the fight as well as Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
Normal and Heroic
This is a single-Stage encounter during which you fight Varimathras inside his prison cell.
- The group will be taking constant, light damage over time from Torment of Flames or Torment of Shadows.
- Taking Shadow damage causes players to be unhealable for 7-seconds and take increased Physical damage due to Misery.
- The tanks will be dealing with Shadow Strike.
- This will apply Misery.
- On Heroic, don't stand in front of the boss to avoid the cone effect.
- Stay within at least 8-yards of one other player to avoid being hit by Alone in the Darkness.
- The best way to handle this is to have one melee and one ranged group.
- Move out of Dark Fissure before they expire.
- When affected by Marked Prey, position so you remain within range of other players after being knocked back.
- Ideally, a melee player will be hit by this, keeping them in range of the ranged group when knocked back.
- On Heroic, when affected by Necrotic Embrace, move at least 10-yards away from other players to prevent it from spreading.
- When Alone in the Darkness is triggered, a Shadow of Varimathras is left behind.
- These should be killed before they cast Echoes of Doom.
Quick Notes, All Difficulties
The notes below mostly pertain to progression difficulty, meaning if you out-gear the difficulty you're on or use extra healers they may not apply.
- Use Major Cooldowns on
- Torment of Fel, during the end of the fight on Heroic and Mythic
- As-needed during the rest of the fight to help conserve mana, the damage is consistent and shouldn't get too out of control.
- Use Minor Cooldowns on
- Nothing in particular, at best they can be used to conserve mana or save players that may have been out of position.
- Pre-heal Before (mainly for heal over time classes)
- Nothing in particular, damage on this fight is persistent, so keep those heal over times rolling!
- Leytorrent Potion use
- When the Torments switch, during which there's a brief period where no group-wide damage is happening.
- Other things to watch for
- Players hit by Marked Prey and Necrotic Embrace will need damage mitigation cooldowns when possible to help them survive while Misery is active.
- Overall, be aware of players affected by Misery so you're not healing them when they take no healing.
- Damage mitigation cooldowns will still work, such as Blessing of Sacrifice or Ironbark, if they need help staying alive until the debuff wears off.
Debuffs to Track
- Misery causes players to be immune to healing.
- Marked Prey causes players to need additional healing.
- On Heroic, Necrotic Embrace causes players to need additional healing.
Below you'll find legendary and gear recommendations for healing Varimathras. Recommendations are mostly based on Mythic difficulty. Gear recommendations for classes other than Druids are largely based off the top items shown on WarcraftLogs. If your class Discord or other guide is recommending something else, let me know in a comment so I can make any necessary updates.
Below are the DBM settings I'll be using for Varimathras. You can set them up however you'd like, but these ones should work well as a starting point. Some settings may be Mythic only.
Heroic, Restoration Druid PoV
Below is a video of me and my guild defeating Varimathras on Heroic difficulty. There is no commentary, only game sounds.
Mythic, Restoration Druid PoV
Below is a video of me and my guild defeating Varimathras on Mythic difficulty. There is no commentary, only game sounds.
Comment on Varimathras, Healer Guide
Changelog - View the last ten changes. - +
May 03, 2018 - 4:48 am (Aggramar) - Added mythic kill video.
March 25, 2018 - 2:26 am (The Coven of Shivarra) - Added mythic kill video.
March 01, 2018 - 12:32 am (Varimathras) - Added mythic kill video.
February 06, 2018 - 4:42 am (Kin'garoth) - Added mythic kill video and clarified some mythic information
January 15, 2018 - 11:20 pm (Healer) - Guide reviewed for 7.3.5, no changes needed.
January 15, 2018 - 3:50 am (Imonar the Soulhunter) - Added mythic kill video and clarified some mythic information.
January 15, 2018 - 3:37 am (Portal Keeper Hasabel) - Added mythic kill video and minor mythic clarifications.
January 09, 2018 - 12:24 am (Eonar the Life-Binder) - Added mythic kill video and updated some mythic information.
December 31, 2017 - 2:11 am (Aggramar) - Added gear recommendations to the healing notes.
December 30, 2017 - 11:26 pm (The Coven of Shivarra) - Added gear recommendations to the healing notes.