This page covers a healer-focused strategy for High Priest Venoxis in Zul'Gurub. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the encounter, logs information, and Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
Stage One - The Priest
This stage begins the encounter and ends when Venoxis reaches 50% health.
- Accompanied by four Razzashi Cobras.
- Razzashi Cobra
- Susceptible to crowd control.
- Target random players with Poison (dispel, poison), dealing light damage over time.
- Razzashi Cobra
- Interrupt or dispel Holy Fire (dispel, magic).
- Stay 15-yards away to avoid Holy Nova and [Holy Wrath]*.
- *My memory of this spell is sparse and comments and old guides seem to suggest different methods of dealing with it, such as draining Venoxis' mana, having melee stay out completely, or just splitting your raid into a melee and ranged group (which is what I remember doing). I'll update this when I find more concrete information.
- Purge Renew to prevent the healing over time.
Stage Two - The Serpent
This stage begins when Venoxis reaches 50% health and ends when he's killed.
- Venoxis transforms into a serpent and will no longer use any abilities from stage one.
- Avoid the Poison Clouds (dispel, poison) left at Venoxis' location.
- The current tank will likely always be hit by this as they move Venoxis out of the cloud.
- Tanks should have as much Nature Resistance as possible without sacrificing other stats.
- Melee and Ranged/Healers generally won't make use of any additional Resistances on this encounter.
The notes below mostly pertain to progression difficulty, meaning if you out-gear the difficulty you're on or use extra healers they may not apply.
- Be aware of any dispelling that needs to be done as it can get out of control quickly.
- The most damage will likely be from [Holy Wrath] hitting melee players, so be sure to keep them near full health.
Debuffs to Track
- Major: Holy Fire (dispel, magic), Poison Cloud (dispel, poison)
- Minor: Poison (dispel, poison)
- Buffs to Purge: Renew