This page covers a healer-focused strategy for High Priest Thekal in Zul'Gurub. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the encounter, logs information, and Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
Stage One - The Zealots
This stage begins the encounter and ends when Thekal is killed for the first time.
- Zealot Lor'Khan, Zealot Zath, and Thekal must be killed at the same time to prevent them from resurrecting.
- Zealot Lor'Khan
- Zealot Zath
Stage Two - The Tiger
This stage begins following Thekal's first death and ends when he's killed a second time.
- Zulian Guardians are summoned periodically.
- The tanks will take extra damage from Flurry.
- Charges random players, dealing light damage.
- Deals light damage to all players and knocks them back with Force Punch.
- Enrages at low health.
- Players generally won't make use of any additional Resistances on this encounter.
The notes below mostly pertain to progression difficulty, meaning if you out-gear the difficulty you're on or use extra healers they may not apply.
- Healers affected by Silence (dispel, magic) should be dispelled quickly.
- Keep players near full health during stage two to make sure they survive all the random, unavoidable sources of damage.
Debuffs to Track
- Major: Mortal Cleave, Silence (dispel, magic)
- Buffs to Purge: Lightning Shield
- Enrages to Dispel: Enrage