This page covers a healer-focused strategy for High Priest Thekal in Zul'Gurub. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the encounter, logs information, and Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
Stage One - The Zealots
This stage begins the encounter and ends when Thekal is killed for the first time.
- Zealot Lor'Khan, Zealot Zath, and Thekal must be killed at the same time to prevent them from resurrecting.
- Zealot Lor'Khan
- Zealot Zath
Stage Two - The Tiger
This stage begins following Thekal's first death and ends when he's killed a second time.
- Zulian Guardians are summoned periodically.
- The tanks will take extra damage from Flurry.
- Charges random players, dealing light damage.
- Deals light damage to all players and knocks them back with Force Punch.
- At 20% health, Enrages, gaining increased attack speed and damage dealt.
Season of Mastery Differences
- Currently, I'm not aware of any differences.
- Players generally won't make use of any additional Resistances on this encounter.
The notes below mostly pertain to progression difficulty, meaning if you out-gear the difficulty you're on or use extra healers they may not apply.
- Healers affected by Silence (dispel, magic) should be dispelled quickly.
- Keep players near full health during stage two to make sure they survive all the random, unavoidable sources of damage.
Debuffs to Track
- Major: Mortal Cleave, Silence (dispel, magic)
- Buffs to Purge: Lightning Shield
- Enrages to Dispel: Enrage
Comment on High Priest Thekal, Healer Guide
Changelog - View the last ten changes. - +
March 01, 2022 - 7:31 pm (Jin'do the Hexxer) - Added missing spells for the Healing Totem and Brain Wash Totem.
March 01, 2022 - 7:12 pm (Edge of Madness) - Added Season of Mastery differences.
March 01, 2022 - 3:39 pm (High Priestess Jeklik) - Added Throw Liquid Fire spell name and ID.
April 11, 2020 - 7:35 pm (High Priest Thekal) - Added missing spells.
April 11, 2020 - 7:33 pm (Edge of Madness) - Added missing spells.