This page covers a healer-focused strategy for Edge of Madness in Zul'Gurub. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the encounter, logs information, and Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
- One of four bosses will be available. Old data indicates the boss that's available depends on the day of the week the current instance ID was created.
- You can tell which boss is available by reading the tablets on the wall and looking for the tablet that mentions the boss is "close to the edge of madness."
- The boss is summoned by extinguishing the brazier with a Gurubashi Mojo Madness.
- When fixated, run away from Gri'lek who will be moving slowly and dealing increased damage due to Avatar.
- Stay at least 20-yards away to avoid Ground Tremor.
- Dispel Entangling Roots (magic), especially on the fixated player.
- The tanks and melee will be dealing with Gouge, possibly leading to threat generation issues.
- Will Vanish and Ambush a random player, dealing moderate damage.
- Sometimes the Vanish stealth can be broken early by area of effect spells and abilities.
- Targets random players with Chain Burn, dealing light to moderate damage and draining mana.
- This can be countered by keeping Hazza'rah's mana drained.
- Puts all players to Sleep for 6-seconds.
- This can be removed with things like Tremor Totem.
- Summons Nightmare Illusions throughout the encounter, which should be killed quickly as they deal critical to fatal damage to anyone they melee attack.
- Don't stand in front of the boss to avoid Forked Lightning.
- Interrupt Chain Lightning to prevent the moderate damage dealt to random players.
- Avoid the locations of Lightning Clouds.
- Players generally won't make use of any additional Resistances on most of these encounters.
- On Wushoolay, all players should have as much Nature Resistance as possible without sacrificing other stats.
The notes below mostly pertain to progression difficulty, meaning if you out-gear the difficulty you're on or use extra healers they may not apply.
- Gri'lek: Be prepared to dispel the player targeted by [Fixate].
- Renataki: Keep players near full health so they can survive Ambush.
- Hazza'rah: Keep the tanks near full health so they can survive while the healers are under the effects of Sleep.