This page covers a healer-focused strategy for Viscidus in the Temple of Ahn'Qiraj. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the encounter, logs information, and Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
- Stay at least 15-yards away to avoid Poison Shock.
- Avoid the locations of Poison Clouds.
- Deals moderate damage to all players and light damage over time with Poison Bolt Volley.
- Freezing and Shattering Viscidus is the only way to kill him.
- After being hit with ~200 separate Frost Damage attacks (spells, wands, potion effects, etc), Viscidus will be Frozen.
- When Frozen, hitting Viscidus with ~75 melee attacks will cause it to Shatter into several Globs of Viscidus.
- Globs of Viscidus
- Move towards the center of the room, reforming into Viscidus after 15-seconds.
- When killed, reduce Viscidus' remaining health by 5%.
- Globs of Viscidus
- All players should use as much Nature Resistance as possible without sacrificing other stats, adding more as-needed to make Poison Bolt Volley manageable for healers.
The notes below mostly pertain to progression difficulty, meaning if you out-gear the difficulty you're on or use extra healers they may not apply.
- Dispel Poison Bolt Volley as quickly as possible to keep the damage under control.
- As mana and healing permit, assist in Freezing and Shattering Viscidus using spells, wands, or potion effects that deal Frost Damage.
Debuffs to Track
- Minor: Poison Bolt Volley
Comment on Viscidus, Healer Guide
Changelog - View the last ten changes. - +
July 26, 2020 - 3:43 pm (C'Thun) - Reviewed before release, no updates needed.
July 26, 2020 - 3:17 pm (Ouro) - Added Quake as the (hopefully) correct "dirt mound" ability.
July 26, 2020 - 3:03 pm (Twin Emperors) - Reviewed before release, no changes needed.
July 26, 2020 - 3:00 pm (Princess Huhuran) - Reviewed before release, no changes needed.
July 26, 2020 - 2:56 pm (Viscidus) - Reviewed before release, made minor clarifications.
July 26, 2020 - 2:51 pm (Fankriss the Unyielding) - Added clarifications about the bug tunnels and Vekniss Hatchlings.
July 26, 2020 - 2:38 pm (Battleguard Sartura) - Minor updates and clarifications.
July 26, 2020 - 2:19 am (Silithid Royalty) - Minor updates and clarifications.
July 26, 2020 - 1:24 am (The Prophet Skeram) - Guide reviewed and updated with minor clarifications.