This page covers a healer-focused strategy for Onyxia in Onyxia's Lair. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the encounter, logs information, and Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
This is a multi-stage encounter during which players will be fighting against Onyxia and her brood.
- Avoid the two hallways of eggs on either side of the room. Entering the hallway will cause several Onyxian Whelps to spawn that must be killed.
Stage One - Onyxia
This stage begins the encounter and ends when Onyxia reaches 65% health.
- Don't stand in front of the boss to avoid Flame Breath and Wing Buffet.
- Don't stand behind the boss to avoid Tail Sweep.
Stage Two - Airborne
This stage begins when Onyxia reaches 65% health and ends when Onyxia reaches 40% health.
- At the beginning of this stage, Onyxia walks to the center of the room and flies into the air.
- While in the air, Onyxia moves between set positions on the edge of the room (north, northeast, east, southeast, south, southwest, west, northwest).
- When Breath is cast, move to avoid the path in front of her that will extend straight across the entire room to avoid the fatal damage when the cast finishes.
- Stay at least 8-yards away from other players to avoid extra damage from Fireball.
Stage Three - Grounded
This stage begins when Onyxia reaches 40% health and ends when Onyxia is killed.
- At the beginning of this stage, Onyxia will land in the center of the room.
- Flame Breath, Wing Buffet, and Tail Sweep continue from stage one.
- Fears all players using Bellowing Roar.
- Periodically spawns Onyxian Whelps from the side hallways.
- The cracks in the ground will spew lava, damaging nearby players.
- All players should have as much Fire Resistance as possible without sacrificing their other stats.
- Tanks may need to add Fire Resistance as necessary to make Flame Breath manageable.
The notes below mostly pertain to progression difficulty, meaning if you out-gear the difficulty you're on or use extra healers they may not apply.
- Healing this encounter is likely to start out relatively easy and get more difficult through each stage.
- Try to avoid healing right when Onyxia lands in stage three to avoid getting aggro before a tank has a chance to.
- If you get aggro on any Onyxian Whelps, be ready to run to the off-tank.
Debuffs to Track
- There are no particular debuffs to track.