This page covers a healer-focused strategy for Kel'Thuzad in Naxxramas. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the encounter, logs information, and Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
Stage One - Minions of the Lich
This stage begins the encounter and ends after ~5-minutes, during which players will fight against Kel'Thuzad's minions.
- All players should be in the center of the room to avoid pulling additional enemies from the alcoves around the outer edges.
- Soldier of the Frozen Wastes
- If they reach any player, deals heavy damage to all players with Dark Blast.
- Soul Weaver
- Deals moderate damage to all players and knocks them back with Wail of Souls.
- Unstoppable Abomination
- The tanks will be dealing with Mortal Wound, reducing healing received.
Stage Two - The Lich
This stage begins following 5-minutes in stage one and ends when Kel'Thuzad reaches 40% health.
- All players should be spread out 10-yards or more around the room to mitigate chaining damage and effects from some abilities during this stage.
- Interrupt Frostbolt to prevent the heavy damage dealt to the tank.
- Chains of Kel'Thuzad Charms the current tank and four other players, increasing their damage dealt and healing done.
- Affected players should be crowd controlled immediately. Be prepared to purge healing effects and buffs from Kel'Thuzad.
- When affected by Detonate Mana, stay at least 10-yards away from other players to avoid dealing damage to them.
- This burns 50% of the affected player's mana over 5-seconds.
- Avoid the locations of Shadow Fissures.
- Targets random players with Frost Blast, stunning them and any other players within 10-yards and dealing critical damage over time to all players affected.
- Deals moderate damage to all players with Frostbolt.
Stage Three - Guardians of the Lich
This stage begins when Kel'Thuzad reaches 40% health and ends once he's killed.
- Kel'Thuzad's abilities during this stage remain the same as stage two.
- Up to five Guardians of Icecrown spawn from the portals in the alcoves at the edge of the room.
- All players should use as much Frost Resistance as possible without sacrificing other stats.
The notes below mostly pertain to progression difficulty, meaning if you out-gear the difficulty you're on or use extra healers they may not apply.
- Players affected by Frost Blast need immediate healing to prevent them from dying.
- Mana can become a problem due to Detonate Mana, so be prepared with mana restoration consumables.
- Additionally, DPS can help by healing themselves whenever possible.