This page covers a healer-focused strategy for Magmadar in Molten Core. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the encounter, logs information, and Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
- Avoid the impact locations of Lava Bomb.
- Dispel Frenzy (enrage) to remove the increased attack speed effect.
- If no dispel is available, the tank should use a defensive cooldown to survive the 8-seconds.
- Melee will gain stacks of Magma Spit through out the fight, dealing light to moderate damage over time.
- Fire Resistance gear and/or buffs will likely be mandatory for melee so the damage is manageable.
- Stay at least 40-yards away to avoid Panic.
- Be sure the tanks and melee still have healers in range of them.
The notes below mostly pertain to progression difficulty, meaning if you out-gear the difficulty you're on or use extra healers they may not apply.
- Keep the tanks near full health so they survive Frenzy before it's dispelled.
- Keep healing over time effects on melee when you can to help keep their health stable.
Debuffs to Track
I'm currently working out which addons will be relevant in Classic. I may add DBM settings here as usual, even they won't entirely be required.