This page covers a healer-focused strategy for Vaelastrasz the Corrupt in Blackwing Lair. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the encounter, logs information, and Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
- All players gain Essence of the Red when the encounter begins, granting a substantial increase to power regeneration for 3-minutes.
- This should result in nearly unlimited mana for the duration of the effect.
- Don't stand in front of the boss to avoid Flame Breath and Cleave.
- Don't stand behind the boss to avoid Tail Sweep.
- Targets random mana users with Burning Adrenaline, greatly increasing damage dealt. Every third cast will target the current tank.
- Upon expiring, or when the affected player dies, heavy damage is dealt to all players.
- All players should have ~200-300 Fire Resistance, which can be reduced if Burning Adrenaline is manageable with less.
The notes below mostly pertain to progression difficulty, meaning if you out-gear the difficulty you're on or use extra healers they may not apply.
- Keep players near full health before Burning Adrenaline expires to avoid unnecessary deaths.
- Tanks will be taking significant damage when tanking Vaelastrasz.
- As healing permits, help DPS down the boss by at least applying any damage over time spells you have.
- The goal of this encounter should be to kill Vaelastrasz by the time Essence of the Red wears off, otherwise handling the heavy healing requirements will become difficult.