This page covers a healer-focused strategy for Firemaw in Blackwing Lair. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the encounter, logs information, and Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
- The tanks will be dealing with Wing Buffet, which causes a threat drop.
- Deals extra damage to the tanks with Thrash.
- Don't stand in front of the boss to avoid Shadow Flame.
- Applies a stack of Flame Buffet to all players within line of sight of the boss every 1-second, dealing steadily increasing damage over time.
- Players should break line of sight to drop their stacks once they reach ~10-stacks, or whatever number feels most comfortable depending on their maximum health and Fire Resistance.
- Tanks should have as much Fire Resistance as possible without sacrificing other stats, as well as use Onyxia Scale Cloak.
- Melee and Ranged/Healers generally won't make use of any additional Resistances on this encounter.
- Flame Buffet can be resisted, but it stacks so quickly it's not really worth losing other stats for Fire Resistance as you'll still need to break line of sight to drop stacks either way.
The notes below mostly pertain to progression difficulty, meaning if you out-gear the difficulty you're on or use extra healers they may not apply.
- The tanks will be taking heavy damage throughout the encounter.
- Depending on how you're positioned, some players may be out of line of sight when dropping Flame Buffet stacks.