This page covers a healer-focused strategy for Shad'har the Insatiable in Ny'alotha, the Waking City. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the encounter, logs information, and Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
Normal and Heroic
- The tanks will be dealing with Crush and Dissolve.
- Crush will likely force a tank switch.
- Targets random players with Debilitating Spit.
- This jumps to another random player upon expiring, halving the number of stacks remaining each time.
- A random player will be fixated by a Living Miasma, when the Miasma reaches the player it triggers Slurry Outburst, dealing damage to all players.
- Slurry Outburst deals less damage the further away players are.
Stage One - Shadowy Carapace
This stage begins the encounter and ends when Shad'har reaches 66% health.
- Every 20-seconds, Umbral Mantle deals heavy damage to all players for 5-seconds.
- Avoid the impact location of Umbral Eruption.
- Don't stand in front of the boss to avoid Umbral Breath.
Stage Two - Void-Tinged Carapace
This stage begins when Shad'har reaches 66% health and ends when it reaches 33% health.
- Entropic Mantle deals steadily increasing damage over time to all players.
- Players must soak the Entropic Buildup orbs to reduce their size and the damage they deal to all players upon expiring.
- Don't stand in front of the boss to avoid Entropic Breath.
Stage Three - Noxious Carapace
This stage begins when Shad'har reaches 33% health and ends when it's killed.
- Deals increased damage due to Frenzy.
- Noxious Mantle deals moderate damage to all players every 3-seconds.
- Avoid the locations of Bubbling Overflow.
- Don't stand in front of the boss to avoid Bubbling Breath.
- Gains stacks of Hungry throughout the encounter.
Quick Notes, All Difficulties
The notes below mostly pertain to progression difficulty, meaning if you out-gear the difficulty you're on or use extra healers they may not apply.
- Use Major Cooldowns
- on Umbral Mantle
- during stage three
- Use Minor Cooldowns
- Pre-heal Before (mainly for heal over time classes)
- Potion of Replenishment use
- Mid-way through stage two, or at the beginning of stage three if you can.
- Other things to watch for
- Be aware of tanks affected by Entropic Breath as they may need an external defensive cooldown to survive.
Debuffs to Track
- Debilitating Spit causes players to need additional healing.
- Entropic Breath causes players to take reduces healing.
- Several abilities cause players to need additional healing.
Below are the DBM settings I'll be using for Shad'har the Insatiable. You can set them up however you'd like, but these ones should work well as a starting point. Some settings may be Mythic only.
DBM settings will be added closer to release.