This page covers a healer-focused strategy for Maut in Ny'alotha, the Waking City. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the encounter, logs information, and Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
Normal and Heroic
During this encounter players will be fighting against Maut in alternating stages.
Stage One - Obsidian Destroyer
This stage begins the encounter and ends when Maut reaches 100% mana, it begins again when Maut reaches 0% mana.
- The tanks will be dealing with Shadow Claws.
- This applies a stack of Shadow Wounds, which will eventually force a tank switch.
- Deals steadily increasing damage to all players with Growing Shadows.
- When affected by Devour Magic, move at least 9-yards away from other players to drop the resulting Devoured Abyss cloud.
- When Stygian Annihilation is cast, stand inside a Devoured Abyss cloud to avoid the fatal damage.
- Standing inside a Cloud deals damage and drains mana over time, minimizing the amount of time you stand in the Cloud is important.
- During Dark Manifestation, run against the pull of the coalesced shadow and stay at least 12-yards away to avoid the heavy damage dealt when it collapses.
- Upon collapsing, spawns a Dark Manifestation.
- On Heroic, don't stand in front of the boss to avoid Black Wings.
Stage Two - Smoke and Mirrors
This stage begins when Maut reaches 100% mana and ends when the Maut reaches 0% mana.
- Maut becomes a stationary statue.
- Obsidian Skin causes Maut to lose mana instead of health when taking damage and reflect 100% of damage taken.
- Consumes 5% mana every 3-seconds to gain a stack of Consumed Magic, increasing magic damage dealt.
- Mana Orbs travel from altars towards Maut through out this stage.
- Players must soak these to prevent them reaching Maut.
- If an Orb reaches Maut, it restores 15% mana.
- Orbs that hit players or enemies explode, dealing light to moderate damage to all players based on the distance the Orb traveled.
- Soaking an Orb grants Forbidden Mana, upon expiring all players within 20-yards gain increased mana regeneration and healing for 6-seconds.
- On Heroic, when affected by Drain Essence (dispel, magic), move at least 8-yards away from other players before the effect expires or is dispelled.
Stage One - Obsidian Destroyer
- Applies Ancient Curse (dispel, curse) to random players, dealing moderate damage over time and slowly gaining stacks.
- At 10-stacks, the affected player is killed.
- When dispelled, all players take moderate damage.
Quick Notes, All Difficulties
The notes below mostly pertain to progression difficulty, meaning if you out-gear the difficulty you're on or use extra healers they may not apply.
- Use Major Cooldowns
- as-needed during stage two, while players are damaging the Obsidian Skin and soaking Mana Orbs
- on Mythic, when
- Use Minor Cooldowns
- as-needed towards the end of stage one when Growing Shadows is dealing the most damage
- Pre-heal Before (mainly for heal over time classes)
- Potion of Replenishment use
- as-needed depending on how well Forbidden Mana is managed
- Other things to watch for
Debuffs to Track
- Shadow Wounds causes tanks to need additional healing.
- On Heroic, Drain Essence (dispel, magic) causes players to need additional healing and can be dispelled in a controlled manner.
- On Mythic, Ancient Curse (dispel, curse) causes players to need additional healing and must be dispelled in a controlled manner.
- Growing Shadows causes players to need additional healing.
Below are the DBM settings I'll be using for Maut. You can set them up however you'd like, but these ones should work well as a starting point. Some settings may be Mythic only.
DBM settings will be added closer to release.