This page covers a healer-focused strategy for Grong, the Jungle Lord (H) in Battle of Dazar'alor. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences with the fight as well as Dungeon Journal information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
General Mechanics and Abilities
Normal and Heroic
This is a single stage fight available to Horde players.
- Grong slowly gains Rage throughout the fight.
- At 70% and 40% health, the Rage generation rate increases.
- The tanks will be dealing with Bestial Combo.
- The following are used once in a random order per combo.
- On Heroic, the following always ends the combo.
- At 100% Rage, Tantrum deals steadily increasing damage to the group over 4-seconds.
- Stay at least 10-yards away from other players to avoid extra damage from Reverberating Slam.
- Avoid the resulting Reverberating Echo.
- Flying Ape Wranglers are present throughout the fight and not attackable.
- Apetagonizer 3000 periodically join the fight.
- Gradually give Grong additional Rage through Apetagonize.
- Move these away from Grong and other players before they die to avoid Lightning Detonation giving Grong additional Rage and damaging players.
- Drops Apetagonizer Core when killed.
- On Heroic, be within 5-yards of at least one other player before Ferocious Roar to avoid being Feared.
- There appear to be no mechanical or ability differences on Mythic difficulty.
Quick Notes, All Difficulties
The notes below mostly pertain to progression difficulty, meaning if you out-gear the difficulty you're on or use extra healers they may not apply.
- Use Major Cooldowns on
- Use Minor Cooldowns on
- Bestial Impact (Heroic)
- Pre-heal Before (mainly for heal over time classes)
- Potion of Replenishment use
- Other things to watch for
Debuffs to Track
- Bestial Throw causes the tank to need moderate healing over time.
- (Optional) Crushed causes the tank to take fatal damage if hit by another Bestial Smash.
- Tracking this may allow you to save the tank with an external cooldown if necessary.
- Rending Bite causes the tank to need light healing over time.
- Megatomic Seeker Missile causes the affected player to need moderate healing.
- Apetagonizer Core causes the player holding the core to need additional healing.
Below are the DBM settings I'll be using for Grong, the Jungle Lord (H). You can set them up however you'd like, but these ones should work well as a starting point. Some settings may be Mythic only.
DBM Settings will be added once the fights are closer to release.