This page covers healer-focused strategies for the Utgarde Keep dungeon in Wrath of the Lich King. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences as well as Dungeon Journal and combat log information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
Below are guides for the bosses in Utgarde Keep, including their abilities, healer notes, and addon settings.
- The tank will be dealing with Shadow Bolt.
- Targets random players with Ice Tomb, incapacitating them and dealing heavy damage over time until the Ice Block is killed.
- Spawns four Vrykul Skeletons at the beginning of the encounter.
- Players affected by Ice Tomb may need an external defensive cooldown to survive.
Debuffs to Track
Skarvald and Dalronn
- Skarvald the Constructor
- The tank will be dealing with the knock back from Stone Strike.
- Targets random players with Charge, dealing light damage and stunning them.
- On Heroic, soothe Enrage to remove the increased attack speed and physical damage dealt effect.
- Upon death, becomes a ghost, continuing to fight until Dalronn is killed.
- Dalronn the Controller
- Interrupt Summon Skeletons to prevent Skeletons joining the encounter.
- When possible, interrupt Shadow Bolt to prevent the light damage dealt to the tank.
- Targets random players with Debilitate, dealing light damage over time and reducing attack, casting, and movement speed.
- Upon death, becomes a ghost, continuing to fight until Skarvald is killed.
- The tank will need extra healing if Enrage cannot be removed.
Debuffs to Track
Ingvar the Plunderer
Stage One - In His Service
This stage begins the encounter and ends when Ingvar is killed.
- Don't stand in front to avoid Smash and Cleave.
- Deals moderate damage to all players and interrupts spell casts with Staggering Roar.
- Soothe Enrage to prevent the stacking increased attack speed from becoming too high.
Stage Two - The Price of Failure
This stage begins after Ingvar is killed and begins when he is resurrected, it ends when Ingvar is killed for the final time.
- Dispel Woe Strike (curse) to prevent being damaged when healing the affected player.
- During Dark Smash, break line of sight on the boss using one of the pillars to avoid the damage and stun effect.
- During Dreadful Roar:
- Don't cast spells to avoid the silence effect.
- Deals increasing light to moderate damage to all players, due to stacks of Dreadful Roar.
- Avoid the locations of Shadow Axes.
- Be prepared to keep yourself healed if Woe Strike (dispel, curse) cannot be dispelled.
- Use cooldowns as-needed just before or just after Dreadful Roar, being mindful of the silence.
Debuffs to Track
Below are notes for the trash mobs in Utgarde Keep. Utgarde Keep is a relatively linear dungeon. The trash below is ordered as if you're completing the bosses in the order they're listed above.
Entrance thru Prince Keleseth
- Dragonflayer Ironhelm
- Dragonflayer Metalworker
- Dragonflayer Weaponsmith
- Dragonflayer Forge Master
- Proto-Drake Handler
- Enslaved Proto-Drake
- Dragonflayer Runecaster
- Dragonflayer Strategist
- Avoid the locations of Ticking Time Bombs.
Prince Keleseth thru Skarvald and Dalronn
- This area also includes Dragonflayer Ironhelm, Dragonflayer Runecasters, and Dragonflayer Strategists, detailed above.
- Dragonflayer Overseer
- Frenzied Geist
- Fixate on random players, dealing light melee damage.
- Tunneling Ghoul
- Savage Worg
Skarvald and Dalronn thru Ingvar
- This area includes Dragonflayer Runecasters, Dragonflayer Strategists, Savage Worgs, and Enslaved Proto-Drakes, detailed above.
- Dragonflayer Bonecrusher
- Dragonflayer Heartsplitter
- Dragonflayer Spiritualist
- Proto-Drake Rider
Trash Debuffs to Track
- Damaging: Rend
- Enrages to Soothe: Enrage, Unholy Rage
- Buffs to Purge: Njord's Rune of Protection, Bolthorn's Rune of Flame
- There are currently no notable addons for Utgarde Keep trash mobs.