This page covers healer-focused strategies for the Opening the Dark Portal dungeon in The Burning Crusade. While it's tailored for healers, other roles may also find the information useful. If you have any suggestions or feedback, you can leave a comment below or tweet @PrestonDvorak.
This guide has been updated and maintained based on my own experiences as well as Dungeon Journal and combat log information. I'll continue to update it as-needed.
The overall goal of this dungeon is to prevent the enemies and bosses from destroying Medivh's shield. Medivh is located near the back of the dungeon by the Dark Portal. All enemies and bosses will attempt to attack him until damaged by a player.
Below are guides for the bosses in Opening the Dark Portal, including their abilities, healer notes, and addon settings.
Chrono Lord Deja
Deja is summoned as part of Wave 6.
- The tank will be dealing with the knock back from Arcane Blast.
- Dispel Time Lapse (magic) to remove the reduced attack speed and movement speed effect.
- Deals moderate damage to all players with Arcane Discharge.
- Pulls all players into melee range with Attraction.
- Healing should remain low throughout the encounter, with the main damage coming from Arcane Discharge.
Debuffs to Track
- Major: Time Lapse (dispel, magic)
Temporus is summoned as part of Wave 12.
- The tank will be dealing with Mortal Wound, reducing healing received.
- Stay at least 15-yards away to avoid Wing Buffet.
- Purge Hasten to remove the increased attack speed and movement speed effect.
- Reflects spells while Spell Reflection is active.
- Be prepared for the extra healing required on the tank if there's no purge for Hasten.
Debuffs to Track
Aeonus is summoned as part of Wave 18.
- The tank will be taking extra damage from Thrash.
- Don't stand in front to avoid Sand Breath and Cleave.
- Stuns all players with Time Stop.
- Soothe Frenzy to remove the increased attack speed effect.
- Keep the tank near full health to ensure they survive during Time Stop.
Debuffs to Track
- Enrages to Soothe: Frenzy
Below are notes for the trash mobs in Opening the Dark Portal. Opening the Dark Portal is a wide open dungeon, however, you're kept in a smaller area due to all trash mobs and bosses coming from random portals near the Dark Portal itself. Due to this setup, any of the trash mobs noted below can come from any portal.
- The following enemies are scattered around the dungeon and don't come from the portals.
- One of the following enemies emerges as the mini-boss of each portal that opens (if it's not a boss portal). Defeating them closes the associated portal.
- Rift Lord
- Rift Keeper
- Stay at least 10-yards away to avoid Blast Wave.
- Interrupt Pyroblast to prevent the moderate damage and light damage dealt over time.
- Interrupt Shadow Bolt Volley to prevent the moderate damage dealt to all players.
- Interrupt or dispel Polymorph (magic) to remove the incapacitating effect.
- Interrupt or dispel Fear (magic) to remove the fear effect.
- Dispel Curse of Vulnerability (curse) to remove the increased magic damage take effect.
- Soothe Enrage to remove the increased attack speed and physical damage dealt effect.
- The following enemies will periodically spawn from any active portal, and are generally weaker.
- Infinite Assassin
- Infinite Whelp
- Spawn in sets of three.
- Infinite Chronomancer
- Infinite Executioner
- Infinite Vanquisher
Trash Debuffs to Track
- Enrages to Soothe: Enrage
- Buffs to Purge: None
Comment on Opening the Dark Portal, Healer Guide
Changelog - View the last ten changes. - +
May 31, 2021 - 8:37 pm (Healer) - Added DBM settings.