Healing doesn't have a rotation of spells to go through like a DPS spec does, however, there are often certain types of situations that arise where you can respond in a certain fashion. I've detailed some of the most common situations below, as well as how to heal them. In the heat of battle, you may not always be able to stick to these things exactly, but with a little practice they should become second nature.
Things to always do
- Maintain Lifebloom on a player at all times, usually the current tank or yourself if using Photosynthesis.
- Maintain Efflorescence on the largest group of players.
What to do when there's no major healing to be done
- Continue to keep Lifebloom and Efflorescence active.
- Consider helping DPS.
- Be mindful of incoming/predictable damage so you can start putting Rejuvenations on players ahead of time.
Healing heavy tank or single-target damage
- If you know the damage is coming, place Ironbark or Cenarion Ward (if talented) on the target ahead of time.
- If the target is already <50% health and nearing death, use Swiftmend to heal them up and follow-up with Regrowth, Ironbark, or Cenarion Ward (if talented) if the damage is going to continue.
- Once the target is stable >50% health, place Rejuvenation on them and then follow up with another large heal (Regrowth, Swiftmend, etc) if they risk dying again without it.
- The main thing is to recognize when the damage is no longer critical so you don't waste mana or cooldowns.
Healing group-wide damage
- If you know the damage is coming, start placing Rejuvenations on as many players as possible ~10 seconds before the damage will start.
- For low to moderate damage where you were able to place Rejuvenations beforehand:
- For heavy damage where you placed Rejuvenations beforehand:
- Use Wild Growth as the damage starts.
- Depending on your talent choices:
- Continue to place Rejuvenations on players and using Wild Growth as needed.
- Use single-target spot healing like Swiftmend and Regrowth on players that will die otherwise.
- For moderate to heavy damage with little to no Rejuvenations placed beforehand:
- Use Wild Growth after the damage starts.
- Move Lifebloom to yourself if you're using Photosynthesis.
- Begin placing Rejuvenations on players not affected by your Wild Growth.
- Just before Wild Growth's heal over time expires, use Flourish if you've taken that talent.
- Use Incarnation: Tree of Life if you've taken that talent
- Continue placing Rejuvenations on players and using Wild Growth as needed.
- Finally, for critical, unexpected damage, Tranquility should be used. Using it should be your last-ditch plan to keep the group alive. If you're assigned to use Tranquility at a specific time by the group leader, try to hold it for that time at all costs. If you've taken Flourish, try to always have it available to extend the heal over time effect from Tranquility after it's done channeling.
Comment on Restoration Druid Guide
Changelog - View the last ten changes. - +
June 23, 2019 - 8:46 pm (Restoration) - Initial guide update for patch 8.2, including new consumables, new gear from Mechagon, world bosses, and other outdoor content.
June 21, 2019 - 2:29 pm (Heart of Azeroth Essences) - Added the rest of the information on how to obtain essence ranks.
June 20, 2019 - 3:22 pm (Heart of Azeroth Essences) - Added how to obtain additional ranks for more essences.
June 18, 2019 - 1:54 pm (Heart of Azeroth Essences) - Added page.
April 15, 2019 - 8:44 am (Addons) - Updated Grid2 import code for Crucible of Storms, added Plater import code and moved ThreatPlates to old addons section.
April 14, 2019 - 4:26 pm (Enchants, Gems, Consumables) - Reformatted the page to distinguish between raiding and mythic+ where applicable.
April 14, 2019 - 4:25 pm (Stat Weights and Gearing) - Added Crucible of Storms items.
April 14, 2019 - 12:26 am (Azerite Armor Traits) - Some adjustments and clarifications made to Mythic+ trait lists.
April 14, 2019 - 12:01 am (Stat Weights and Gearing) - Fixed several items that were incorrectly trying to load spell tooltips.
March 20, 2019 - 7:49 pm (Races and Racial Abilities) - Added page.