Features and content added in December 2017
Posted 3 months, 2 weeks ago
in Site Features |
In order to have more transparency about what's going on behind the scenes, I'm going to be doing monthly overviews of what was added and updated during the month. This can include content, back-end systems, and even things like marketing. These articles may be a little rough around the edges, but the goal is to get the point across without spending too much time editing the actual article (which means more time working on the stuff the article talks about).
During December of 2017, the following items were added or updated.
New Website Development
With a new World of Warcraft expansion on the way, along with my desire to expand coverage to other games, and to improve a number of back-end systems, I've begun work on a brand new website!
Shown in the picture above: New header with basic menu system and expandable news bar (open/closed state remembered through cookies), and the new color scheme. Missing are the graphics and some final styling.
Major features in the works:
- Proper versioning of site files through Git and on-server plugins
- This means less chance of site-breaking changes being made with no backups available
- Account system for comments and future site features
- Sign-in options through Twitter and hopefully Battle.net, Facebook, and more
- This means no more reliance on Disqus for comments - it's a great service, but expensive for expansion
- Full re-build of back-end systems used to manage guides, featured content, and news articles
- Many of these systems were built in the month it took me to build the initial site, and while they work, I'm ready to write something new that's easier to use
- This may ultimately lead to more guest authors as I won't need to help put content on the site
- Full compliance with AAA Web Content Accessibility Guidelines, which ensure the site is accessible to people with disabilities or anyone using assistive software to browse the site.
- In many countries, meeting the minimum of these standards is required by law, but to help future-proof the site I'll be meeting the highest standards available.
- Better use of API's, primarily YouTube and Twitch, to help manage information shown on the site.
- Research into building better spell databases for World of Warcraft and future games being covered, to remove reliance on third-party sites.
- The direction of content on the site will remain largely the same. I'm very happy with the quality of content I'm offering and have no plans to stop that.
World of Warcraft
Antorus, the Burning Throne guides
All the Antorus healer guides received additional updates following the release of Antorus, including a redesigned Healer Notes section.
With Antorus released, the YouTube channel received many new videos!
Antorus, the Burning Throne
Heroic Boss Kill Playlist
Mythic Boss Kill Playlist
Mythic+ Run Playlist
As always, there's the playlist of all my archived Twitch streams for December.
Several new stream highlight collections were created for Antorus kill videos and Mythic+ runs.
Mythic Antorus Kill Highlights
Heroic Antorus Kill Highlights
Mythic+ Run Highlights
I also completed the new Hearthstone Dungeon Run with several classes.
Revenue and Hours worked
I thought sharing my time investment and money earned could help put things in perspective. If you'd like to support the site and stream, there are several methods located on the right-hand side of the page under "Show Additional Support," along with disabling adblock on the site, Twitch channel, and YouTube channel.
Approximate Hours Spent Working
Non-streaming activities (website, videos, etc): 150 (5 hours per day, 7 days per week)
Streaming: 118 (~4 hours 22 minutes per day, 6 days per week)
Total revenue from all sources: ~$25 (ads, tips, patreon, amazon)
That's all for this month! Feel free to leave comments and ask questions.